Discus and Dwarf Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Afn_Black

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am thinking about adding a pair of discus to my tank, I have a 112L tank stocked with;
Two red dwarf homey gouramis
One GBR
Two cory cats
A small school of neon tetra
Two armano shrimp, two black crystals (unsure if there still alive, as there so tiny and hard to find)
And threw snails.

Would this be two over stocked? And i am a bit worried that they wont get along with ththe gouramis, help pleaseee!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Discus and Dward gouramis

112 liters is unfortunately too small for discus. You could look into maybe getting a mate for your GBR and upping your schools but after that you'll be pretty fully stocked. Discus also require specific water conditions (such as a pretty high temp) that some of your other fish might not prefer.

In my opinion the gouramis would pick at the discus fins and cause a lot of stress and discus have to be kept in bigger groups of at least 5 to feel confident

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is what i thought, I am currently looking for a mate for the GBR but because its still to young its hard to sex it. What would you suggest for my tank? I'd prefer a more advanced fish that would fit in nicely

I would up your schools a bit and leave it at that I always say to my self its best u make the fish u got now happy than to get even more different fish and cause stress

80length,40high,35from back to front, i was thinking of actually getting tid of the school of neons, not really keen on them now haha

This is what i thought, I am currently looking for a mate for the GBR but because its still to young its hard to sex it. What would you suggest for my tank? I'd prefer a more advanced fish that would fit in nicely

With your current stock there's not a ton more you can add without overstocking it (aside from filling in the schools, etc). In an identical tank that was empty you could look into any of the various apistogramma (cacatuoides and borellii are good starting types) or other SA dwarf cichlids like the checkerboard cichlid (Dicrossus filamentosa). If you had a larger tank you'd have more options, of course.

One of my favourite fish are the emperor tetra this is my actual one in my tank once settled in they have beautiful colorsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411328828.146092.jpg

Yeah that could be an option fox, i was also thinking of the black skirt tetra? Could i see a overveiw pic of your tank if you have one?

Yep here it is this is only my tetra tank thoughImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411329261.218252.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411329207.696391.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411329207.696391.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 123
Youve for some nice tanks!

Definitely agree 112l is too small and a pair is not optimum. They do best in groups of 5-6 to help spread out aggression and hierarchy of the group. I also feel the same that the gouramis would be antagonistic to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom