Discus and Pistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand your concern and where it's coming from and I appreciate that, but I have done my homework on all this discus, pisto compatibility and I found very, very few negative comments and a lot og good comments

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not so much concern, it's kind of fact based. Again ,your fish, your tanks, my advice.. From what little I know about discus- higher temps 84-86 and like chill tank mates. Apistos are not chill when they spawn, females go beserk it's awesome! My female panduro used to kill snails haha. Apistos like heavily structured bottoms with lots of caves and hidey holes. Not exactly ideal in a discus setup as it trap crap and mulm which may raise nitrates a bit. Apistos also like lower temps 74-78. Again this is all loosely based on facts and my own personal experience. Do with it what you will, serious fish keepers take great care and pride in offering the most natural habitats for their prized fish. Atleast I do anyways..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not so much concern, it's kind of fact based. Again ,your fish, your tanks, my advice.. From what little I know about discus- higher temps 84-86 and like chill tank mates. Apistos are not chill when they spawn, females go beserk it's awesome! My female panduro used to kill snails haha. Apistos like heavily structured bottoms with lots of caves and hidey holes. Not exactly ideal in a discus setup as it trap crap and mulm which may raise nitrates a bit. Apistos also like lower temps 74-78. Again this is all loosely based on facts and my own personal experience. Do with it what you will, serious fish keepers take great care and pride in offering the most natural habitats for their prized fish. Atleast I do anyways..

Yes discus do like higher temps 82-86,and chill tankmates and I will most likely move the pistos while breeding if they are a male female pair. That's one mean pisto. I do have several hiding spots that can be cleaned but the pistos love them already, one is a large hole in a peice of driftwood that the male has already taken over as a man cave. And there are some side areas by the wood that have a lot of plant cover.

I'm sorry for not agreeing with you and I did do some research in art class and found out that the high temps will shorten their life span. I will move them to a seperate tank and get a pair of Dicrossus Filamentosus

In the nicest way I can say it fin you gotta start listening to the guys who know their stuff, brookster is one of those apisto whispers people call in to communicate with their pistos through bubbles. If he sees a temp issue it likely exists. Again, I mean that in the nicest way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In the nicest way I can say it fin you gotta start listening to the guys who know their stuff, brookster is one of those apisto whispers people call in to communicate with their pistos through bubbles. If he sees a temp issue it likely exists. Again, I mean that in the nicest way.

I understand and agree with you there. And actually, I didn't know Brookster was a big pisto fan, I'm not in any of his threads.

Both of the pistos turned out to be male, so if I could get my hands on a pair of females it would be awesome. They will be moved to a 10g once I set it up.

I understand and agree with you there. And actually, I didn't know Brookster was a big pisto fan, I'm not in any of his threads.

Why not?
You should be!

Both of the pistos turned out to be male, so if I could get my hands on a pair of females it would be awesome. They will be moved to a 10g once I set it up.

Keep an eye on the two.
They may not play well...

Why not?
You should be!

Keep an eye on the two.
They may not play well...

I know I should be. And as for the pistos, I did much more research today and rn I don't have the money for an entire new tank setup for any fish so they are being traded out a pair of rams or something soon. I will step back into pistos once I get a better tank for them and I will probably start out with an easier kind which out be Orange Flash pistos

Pistos. Both of them are doing well the smaller and less brilliantly colored of the two is the possible female

Attachments

• 1452909997578.jpg
    1452909997578.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 1452910019816.jpg
    1452910019816.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 73
Ahh, I've seen them, still learning my apistogramma species, I'm looking to get some cacatuoides, Hongsloi or borellii soon.

Ahh, I've seen them, still learning my apistogramma species, I'm looking to get some cacatuoides, Hongsloi or borellii soon.

Make sure you get real borelli, the bad LFS in my area labels steel blues as borelli.

I would keep these two and I was planning on trying a breeding project with them but I found out they need very, very specific requirements that I cant provide at the time, and I don't have a cooler tank to move them to

The orange flash pistos look amazing, you should check them out.

My hongslio are spawning as we speak...:whistle:

99907-albums14434-picture69684.jpg

You have some good taste in fish(y)

Back
Top Bottom