Discus coming tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only use root tabs for fertilizer in all my tanks and have had success with it. The acclimation say to let them float 45 min or so then dump their water in a clean bucket put the fish directly in my tank with a strainer. My nitrates aren't 0 but they are preety close to yellow on my master API kit. I WILL treat my discus like fragile delicate little flowers whether they're fragile or not I will definitley feed them right and test and do all the necessary water changes. I hope somethingsphishy.com is a good breeder. I read many good reviews but also saw a few bad ones on other sights. I just want to make sure I'm doing this all right, I was not prepared for their "acclimation" instructions. I've wanted discus for so long....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok guys my fish arrived and have been In the tank a few hours in the dark. They are all very alive and active. Some were picking on each other :(. Only one seems to be a little sluggish but he's still swimming ok. Fingers crossed they make it thru the night!

Please keep me update on how your discus do! I got around 30 discus for a research project from somethingsphishy and all but 3 have died.... I don't necessarily think it's their fault, but my professor and I are entirely at a loss as to what went wrong and we think it may have just been a chronic issue from the start... keep us posted on how things work out for you!

Well they seem to be doing quite well so far....how long until you noticed problems?

Watch those fish carefully for parasites. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me but hornwort would be great as a cover plant to provide some cover for them from the light and hornwort consumes nitrates.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have some hornwort in my tank. The Discus I got are all swimming and beautiful so no complaints here so far :) I'm excited.

Watch those fish carefully for parasites.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My fish have some beautiful color potential! It's still early so these parasites you speak of I'm sure haven't shown up yet. Maybe I should just go ahead and treat them??

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429182739.042233.jpg

I think they're georgeous :)

Congrats and good luck!! Discus are my ultimate goal when I get some extra money and my own house so I have more room.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Beautiful fish!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks guys and thanks mr.coolguy for all your insight!! I know I'm not out of the dark but I feel
Good about them :)

Well they seem to be doing quite well so far....how long until you noticed problems?

Well we had one DOA, and then they slowly died off, averaging maybe one a day, until there were none left. We tried treatments for everything- ich, fungus, bacteria, parasites... they just slowly kept dying. I was doing daily 50% water changes keeping the water at 84 degrees and approximately 3 degrees KH and 100 ppm total hardness- a mix of well water and RO. Tank was completely cycled, never saw any ammonia. It was incredibly difficult for me because I've never been through anything like this as a fishkeeper...

Last edited:
Not your fault...

Well we had one DOA, and then they slowly died off, averaging maybe one a day, until there were none left. We tried treatments for everything- ich, fungus, bacteria, parasites... they just slowly kept dying. I was doing daily 50% water changes keeping the water at 84 degrees and approximately 3 degrees KH and 100 ppm total hardness- a mix of well water and RO. Tank was completely cycled, never saw any ammonia. It was incredibly difficult for me because I've never been through anything like this as a fishkeeper...

Mine arrived very active and seemed to be well packed in a styrofoam crate, the fish were in individual dark bags. This was my first live fish shipping experience and they weren't even in route quite 24 hours, so that was good. All of mine are still alive. I'm doing about 30-40% water change every day and they are eating like pigs. I have read up on parasites and am keeping a close eye on them. I hope they continue to thrive. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

I'm glad they are doing well! That's awesome. How are you treating parasites?

Ive been breeding discus as a hobby for 6 yrs now. i have some advice, take it for what it is, just what works for me. Rule 1, lol, relax. Dont over worry abt your discus. Ive found if they are healthy and hearty, and its conditioned tap water then they're fine with floating the bags for 20 then releasing them.

If its RO water, youll need to do a drip acclimation. 2 water changes at 30% a week should be fine. Thats a solid amount of removal and return.

Lots of plants and driftwood are good for them to have places to step away from the limelight. I suggest leaving the lights off for the first day. Then normal behaviour with your tank after that. Food is easy, you'll find what they like, and rotate a few things with it.

Discus are commonly known to be hard to keep. But a lot of that is because of weak strains and breeding. If your discus are happy and healthy, then a full colorful life is easy. Welcone to the darkside.

Discus Love.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Although i havent found a discus that doesnt love, love, love freeze dried australian blackworms.

Attachments

• 1429373879162.jpg
    1429373879162.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 1429373914352.jpg
    1429373914352.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1429373931251.jpg
    1429373931251.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 1429373960653.jpg
    1429373960653.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 77
Ive been breeding discus as a hobby for 6 yrs now. i have some advice, take it for what it is, just what works for me. Rule 1, lol, relax. Dont over worry abt your discus. Ive found if they are healthy and hearty, and its conditioned tap water then they're fine with floating the bags for 20 then releasing them. If its RO water, youll need to do a drip acclimation. 2 water changes at 30% a week should be fine. Thats a solid amount of removal and return. Lots of plants and driftwoid are good for them to have places to step away from the limelight. I suggest leaving the lights ofg for the first day. Then normal behaviour with your tank after that. Food is easy, you'll find what they like, and rotate a few things with it. Discus are commonly known to be hard to keep. But a lot of that is bevause of weak strains and breeding. If your discus are happy and healthy, then a full colorful life is easy. Welcone to the darkside.

Discus Love.

Wow georgeous, beautiful fish!!

Somethingsphishy.com if you read the entire thread there are many people telling me how bad they are. But so far I'm having good luck...but I may look into
treating for parasites, they are doing well but you can't be too cAreful :)View attachment 270320

Get some prazipro for flukes, and Metronidizole for the internal worms.. Both are safe medications.. My local breeder where I got most of my discus from uses those medications on all his discus before and after breeding them.. Ive used both myself one to be sure the ones I got from other sources were ok.

I hear some discus people use them every 6 months

Back
Top Bottom