Discus filtration setting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey y'all....I was wondering what the best filtration would be for a 55g planted discus tank. I have two AQ 70's running but feel that is a bit too strong of a current? What is a good softer flow filter that will work good?

I don't think that two AC70's would be too much current.

Another option would be a canister with a spray bar.

aquaclear filters have adjustable flow rates so current won't be an issue.

I would do a canister, perhaps augmented by an HOB.

I don't think that two AC70's would be too much current.

Another option would be a canister with a spray bar.

aquaclear filters have adjustable flow rates so current won't be an issue.

I would do a canister, perhaps augmented by an HOB.

+ 1 for both of these. But I would highly recommend AGAINST any carbon in either setup. I would also recommend a TON of Discus research if this isn't your first rodeo with them. They're not difficult, but they are very demanding. If you have any other questions about them, fire away. Mine enjoy me more than my ex wife did.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I have had them before and am diving back into them. I dont use carbon at all being it is a very well planted tank so I am good on that one. I am concerned that a cannister on a 55 will produce too much current. I havent had one of those in years so I am way out of the loop on how they operate now. Can you adjust the water flow?

Some canisters can be adjusted and some cannot. Canisters come in all different flow rates though. The advantage of the canister is the ability to use a spray bar which will diffuse the direct flow.

That being said, I still can't imagine two AC70's being too much current for discus. They are riverine fish to begin with so some current is OK.

Some canisters can be adjusted and some cannot. Canisters come in all different flow rates though. The advantage of the canister is the ability to use a spray bar which will diffuse the direct flow.

That being said, I still can't imagine two AC70's being too much current for discus. They are riverine fish to begin with so some current is OK.

+1 for sure. dalto is correct on all accounts. To elaborate on the canisters a bit, I run a Fluval 406 and 205 on my 55g Discus tank and have no issues in regards to them staying in one place or being carried away. The 406 intake is on the same side as the 205 discharge and the reverse on the other side of the tank. Again, no issues on that portion of the setup. I do not use spray bars but the stock nozzles. I use the stock sponges and all trays have biomedia. I've also purchased all but one Discus from the same source.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Back
Top Bottom