Discus fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi there! I just recently bought a new 75 gallon tank and am thinking about getting some new fish for my old
55 gal and was thinking about some freshwater discus fish because their colors are so vibrant! I've never had
Any discus fish and was wondering if any one out there has had a lot of experience with them? I'm looking for
A more peaceful aquarium because I already have a semi agressive tank and agressive and was wanting a
Peaceful larger fish thats colorful without doing a salt water tank, I want to stick to freshwater tanks.

It depends on how much you want to invest. I generally use these four point to those who want to keep discus because this is what it's like to keep these fish:
1. These fish are not cheap. The cheapest I could find was thirty dollars for little juvenilles about the size of my palm. Adults can be up to seventy five dollars. These fish need to be kept in schools at a minimum of five to six, so you're looking at around 150-450+ dollars on just the fish.
2. They are not easy to keep. They are by no means the hardest to keep but they are a challenge if you don't have enough experience. IMO they do best in soft water (some do have success in alkaline water with them though). They also get big, about the size of dinner plates. This shouldn't be a problem however because you have a big enough tank. Keep in mind these are sensitive. They have zero tolerance for high ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates (anything over .5-1 ppm for ammonia and NO2, nothing over 20 for NO3 IMO) so be good on water changes.
3. You can't keep lots of fish with these guys as you could with other fish. You CAN set up a community, but it's best to choose tankmates that these guys are use to in their natural habitat, like for example, cardinal and rummynose tetras as dither fish, cories (ex. sterbai) on the bottom, and hatchetfish on the top. It's a very good biotope.
4. These guys like REALLY high temperature, as in 86 degrees F. If you can't provide this they won't be as colorful and not as active.

If you can provide all this, you'll be ready for discus! :)

Wow! Those are expensive little guys! Thanks for the advice any other suggestions of a large peaceful freshwater fish that are colorful?
I just think the discus are soooooo beautiful!!

Yes! Those are nice! I might go with Severums even though they can be somewhat agressive, I have a gold Severum now in my 40 gallon tank but
He's just a baby and still somewhat agressive to my swordtails, especially when it comes to feeding time the poor things can hardly even get anything to eat!!!

Back
Top Bottom