Discus fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basically your just going to shorten the life of those fish just to keep your discus growth optimal, really not ethical.

I'd say my neons have had (and still have) a longer life expectancy with me and my 84F than they would have had at my LFS or most of the homes that would have been placed.

To that end; I think many people have proven that domesticated fish will survive and often even thrive in pretty awful conditions. All heat does is increase metabolism which (in theory) could shorten life.

The neon gets a lot of benefit from a discus tank:
CLEAN water
The best food any neon has ever eaten
84F guarantees the fish never has to worry about ich.. Which is a big deal to a neon
No predators
Highly likely the fish will never see sickness
If the tank does get sick, it'll get the best meds.

I'm pretty sure they'd be even happier in my 850l amazon softwater set-up, but I'm not trying to argue my fishkeeping ability. Nor am I suggesting that because my tank has discus in my fish are better off, even if they don't live as long, I wouldn't be so presumptuous.

A LFS is hardly a long term home.

Having spoken to mine (who's previous store had a 2000gal discus section in 2ft cubes) he suggested a minimum disc size of 3-4" young adults, and one or two pairs. Growth won't be optimal, but they will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom