Discus Fish discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Always hesitate to own discus because of the warnings on Internet that they require very pristine water and are very sensitive and picky eaters.

However, I see them in stores in small tanks and without extra care and they are doing fine.

So, what is the reality? Is it very hard to keep this fish? Changing water like 25 to 50 percent once a week isn't enough?

They are very hard to keep, they require lots of attention. Expensive learning curve...

They are very hard to keep, they require lots of attention. Expensive learning curve...

I've seen people drop $400 on a couple of young discus. Do you want to gamble with that?
Its not very expensive here. Probably maximum 200 dollars for a pair. I can afford that because the fish is very gorgeous. But, I am not an expert aquarist and still learning from my mistakes.

My LFS has one blue in his not for sale display tank but I made him agree to sell it to me but I don't want the poor creature die because of my negligence.

I am curious on one thing that I see them given not extra care or special food at stores but they thrive good.

Still in doubt to buy or no. I freak out if a fish doesn't eat and I read they are very picky.

If money is of little importance and you want a few tasty pics for social media.. go for it! Otherwise.. research (you wont), Get an appropriate sized tank (highly unlikely). Be ready to change water (are you?). Juvies are especially difficult. Adults are easier.

I wouldn't do it, there very sensitive and your tank is already overstocked. Discus are ver finicky or params

If money is of little importance and you want a few tasty pics for social media.. go for it! Otherwise.. research (you wont), Get an appropriate sized tank (highly unlikely). Be ready to change water (are you?). Juvies are especially difficult. Adults are easier.
I am not on social media. Always do and keep everything for my sake only. Not to show off. I have some old movie memorable stuff which I never showed to anyone and I paid a lot of money for it. I do everything for my personal satisfaction. (movie goodies I talked to prove my point I don't want a discus Fish only to share to social media)

Yes can't change water very often. Can only change weekly. Also can't give too much time on tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be very sensitive and need to be in groups to thrive I lost an adult this week because it was upset about the tank change from being moved from it's home of 5 years, perfect water parameters and lots of room, and evn though I know quite a bit and have done much reading and talked with keepers of these specific 2 fish and "discus in general, I found out too late that they can be ultra sensitive.

After talking with the lfs owner, he described a situation about these fish where a customer of his with no expense spared and keeping in perfect conditions (about 12 in a 150G) all of a sudden turned black, stopped eating, after a consult by phone could determine no reason the fish would be ill. Went to the house and after an examination and retesting were perplexed with no presentation of illness.

Then there was some pounding noise on the roof. Discus keeper was having his roof replaced. The fish were upset by the unfamiliar noise. after the next day the roofers job was complete.

No more pounding Discus returned to a normal color and eating and all was well.

Very sensitive. The lfs owner said especially psycologically. How that is I am not sure I really understand yet.

You can try what you want, but these are advanced care fish. Perhaps an advanced aquarist will purchase the fish you are thinking of.

Personally I am stunned and unsettled by my situation I have just experienced. Thought I would share my bad and surprising event.

They can be very sensitive and need to be in groups to thrive I lost an adult this week because it was upset about the tank change from being moved from it's home of 5 years, perfect water parameters and lots of room, and evn though I know quite a bit and have done much reading and talked with keepers of these specific 2 fish and "discus in general, I found out too late that they can be ultra sensitive.

After talking with the lfs owner, he described a situation about these fish where a customer of his with no expense spared and keeping in perfect conditions (about 12 in a 150G) all of a sudden turned black, stopped eating, after a consult by phone could determine no reason the fish would be ill. Went to the house and after an examination and retesting were perplexed with no presentation of illness.

Then there was some pounding noise on the roof. Discus keeper was having his roof replaced. The fish were upset by the unfamiliar noise. after the next day the roofers job was complete.

No more pounding Discus returned to a normal color and eating and all was well.

Very sensitive. The lfs owner said especially psycologically. How that is I am not sure I really understand yet.

You can try what you want, but these are advanced care fish. Perhaps an advanced aquarist will purchase the fish you are thinking of.

Personally I am stunned and unsettled by my situation I have just experienced. Thought I would share my bad and surprising event.
Thank you for the detailed reply and perfect reasoning. I will keep off from buying this fish then. I have children at home to who sometimes get excited and get to closer to tanks when they see fish eating food. Definitely discus won't like that.

I highly appreciate the way you explained things. I love when someone explains the reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Sir for the detailed reply and perfect reasoning. I will keep off from buying this fish then. I have children at home to who sometimes get excited and get to closer to tanks when they see fish eating food. Definitely discus won't like that.

I highly appreciate the way you explained things. I love when someone explains the reasons.

You are most welcome. I have heard that people keep them in average conditions, but when I have seen them mostly they seem stunted from less than perfect tank size conditions and not the correct feeding, etc. They are high maintenance to be sure.

When keepers who do daily water changes, feed plentiful high quality foods and keep ideal conditions, there is hardly a more beautiful fish I have seen. (like with most fish, best care yield best results) Discus easily can grow to be 8 inches.

It's good that you are checking to find out more about kinds of fish you might wish to keep/or save!

Everyone makes good points but let me add that I have had discus for years and don't find them particularly hard to keep. You can get young ones for about $30. You need to provide a big tank, at least 15 to 20 gallons per fish, feed high quality food, keep temperature at 85 and change 50 percent of water at least weekly.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

You are most welcome. I have heard that people keep them in average conditions, but when I have seen them mostly they seem stunted from less than perfect tank size conditions and not the correct feeding, etc. They are high maintenance to be sure.

When keepers who do daily water changes, feed plentiful high quality foods and keep ideal conditions, there is hardly a more beautiful fish I have seen. (like with most fish, best care yield best results) Discus easily can grow to be 8 inches.

It's good that you are checking to find out more about kinds of fish you might wish to keep/or save!
Thanks Ma'am. Yes I saw them thriving in not very caring conditions. But maybe such specimen won't stay alive for too long and such conditions may have impact there life span.
Everyone makes good points but let me add that I have had discus for years and don't find them particularly hard to keep. You can get young ones for about $30. You need to provide a big tank, at least 15 to 20 gallons per fish, feed high quality food, keep temperature at 85 and change 50 percent of water at least weekly.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer
Thanks Sir.

Back
Top Bottom