Discus help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been thinking about starting a 55g tank of Discus. So far what I've read about them they may be difficult to care for. What do you guys think? What are good tank mates? Would they be happy in a 55g? They are so beautiful. Would it be safe to order them online? Haven't seen them in my LFS. Need help.:dance::fish2:

They are a little more sensitive than most fish.
They thrive in clean water (low nitrates).

You could keep 4 Discus in your tank.
They like peaceful tank mates e.g. corydoras, tetras.

Zippy, very active, fast-moving fish will stress them .

If you use soft water that helps they enjoy low PH
like above the really need to have clean water
Need a good diet and warm water to prevent ick and what not
ordering online would be a bit scary imo I have red that young ones often die and never make it to adulthood.

Clean water is the most important, I do water changes a few times a week of about 15%. A diet high in protein is also important. Buy some discus care books to get more info and see if you are ready

If you use soft water that helps they enjoy low PH
like above the really need to have clean water
Need a good diet and warm water to prevent ick and what not
ordering online would be a bit scary imo I have red that young ones often die and never make it to adulthood.

In live in Carson City, NV and the only place to buy fish are PetSmart and Petco. Maybe Reno pet shops in Reno might have them. I will check. Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm gearing up to build a 75g discus tank. I'd recommend simplydiscus.com they have some great articles and guides on there. As far as ordering the fish online, I wouldn't worry about it. Smaller discus seem to ship better but take a while to grow out. Growing them out can be a chore in itself from what I've ready.

Lots of daily feedings plus daily water changes. All in all I think it is worth all the hassle as they are stunning fish.

I'm going to be ordering mine from Kenny, he's got some amazing stock in the last shipment he got in. Hans Discus are nice too, worth checking them out. Right now I'm looking at about $25-30 for a 2.5" fish, just to give you an idea.

Discus are beautiful, fun and active fish and provided that their requirements are met they can be successfully kept. Here are some of the requirements I thought of:
1. Clean water. No nitrites or ammonia can ever be present and nitrates shouldn't exceed above 20 ppm IMO.
2. Soft acidic water or moderately hard water if the discus were raised in it. Using peat moss filtration or RO water can really help.
3. A good shoal of them. A group of 5-6 could fit comfortably in a 55 gallon tank IMO. It will keep them comfortable and secure.
4. High temperature. Keeping them in temperature around 82-86 degrees F will help them color up and they thrive.

Hope this helps and good luck! :)

It seems the soft acidic water requirement is a bit overrated anymore. With the domesticated discus being grown out in tap water it is hardly an issue anymore. If you got some wild caught discus then yes, you would need to alter your params. I've heard of people keeping discus in a wide range of water conditions. As long as the water is warm and clean they are happy it seems!

Discus tank mates

I'm gearing up to build a 75g discus tank. I'd recommend simplydiscus.com they have some great articles and guides on there. As far as ordering the fish online, I wouldn't worry about it. Smaller discus seem to ship better but take a while to grow out. Growing them out can be a chore in itself from what I've ready.

Lots of daily feedings plus daily water changes. All in all I think it is worth all the hassle as they are stunning fish.

I'm going to be ordering mine from Kenny, he's got some amazing stock in the last shipment he got in. Hans Discus are nice too, worth checking them out. Right now I'm looking at about $25-30 for a 2.5" fish, just to give you an idea.

Any suggestions on tank mates? Already been told not to put in fast moving fish, ok with corys and tetras. Any others?

Back
Top Bottom