Discus Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking of getting some discus and I was wondering what tank I should have for them and how many I could have in that size of tank.also what water params should I have?
Just general I for about discus would be great thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking of getting some discus and I was wondering what tank I should have for them and how many I could have in that size of tank.also what water params should I have?
Just general I for about discus would be great thanks!

First and foremost, I would advise that you start by doing a TON of research before starting. They're not hard to keep, just very demanding. You'll need to have a game plan in place before you start in regards to what (type and size) you're planning on. There at too many variables but many similarities to go over without knowing where you'll be starting.

I would suggest getting familiar with the first fourteen stickies here; http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners and then deciding what direction to take.

As I said above, they are not hard, just demanding if you do it properly. I don't discourage anyone from keeping them, I just encourage it be done correctly with massive amounts of research prior to getting involved. Otherwise it's like putting on scuba gear and trying to play ice hockey.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me.

First and foremost, I would advise that you start by doing a TON of research before starting. They're not hard to keep, just very demanding. You'll need to have a game plan in place before you start in regards to what (type and size) you're planning on. There at too many variables but many similarities to go over without knowing where you'll be starting.

I would suggest getting familiar with the first fourteen stickies here; http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners and then deciding what direction to take.

As I said above, they are not hard, just demanding if you do it properly. I don't discourage anyone from keeping them, I just encourage it be done correctly with massive amounts of research prior to getting involved. Otherwise it's like putting on scuba gear and trying to play ice hockey.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me.

Do I need to use an RO system or is that uneccesary?

Do I need to use an RO system or is that uneccesary?

You don't "need" to use a RO but it does help a lot and well worth the investment in the long run. To help determine if it's something that's a "necessity" would be better determined after learning where your Discus will come from and what that breeder/supplier uses. Do yourself a huge favor in regards of where/who to purchase from and make that 50% of your research. There's a few really bad ones that offer some "great deals" that ARE too good to be true.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Ro systems are well worth the investment, as long as your tap water isn't good for the discus. Otherwise, they arent necessary.

Ro systems are well worth the investment, as long as your tap water isn't good for the discus. Otherwise, they arent necessary.

What would be considered good tap water?

What would be considered good tap water?

I'd consider "good" to be 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, and less than 20 nitrate, pH of 7.6. Excellent would be 0's across the board and 7.0 pH.

Ok that is basically my tap water after conditioned and stuff. Could I do a pair of them in a 20 or 25g aquarium?

Ok that is basically my tap water after conditioned and stuff. Could I do a pair of them in a 20 or 25g aquarium?

No...nope and not so much, they are best on a group of 6+, 4 ft tank at the very least. Why not some dwarf cichlids for the 20?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No...nope and not so much, they are best on a group of 6+, 4 ft tank at the very least. Why not some dwarf cichlids for the 20?

I agree, minimum for discus imho is around 55gallons and something high ^-^

That's good parameters to house them in and therefore the need for RO is not a need anymore.

I agree, minimum for discus imho is around 55gallons and something high ^-^

I agree and disagree with both on this. If you took anytime to read any, some, or all of the parts of the link I supplied earlier, you'd see where this does and doesn't apply. Brookster and Fishanatic are absolutely correct. With the EXCEPTION of one very important aspect. That being a (proven or possible proven) breeding pair. That is the ONLY time a smaller tank and smaller group (less than 5-6) will work.

It is not a written "requirement" that they be kept in groups of 5 or more, but it's the accepted practice for Discus keepers to do so. Without the larger quantity, you will push the stress limits of them considerably. And it will range anywhere from being more susceptible to various health concerns from contracting diseases to a shortened lifespan.

To get back to the possible pair in a 20g, that will only last about two weeks or so. Then, depending on the number of eggs that hatch, you will be quickly be moving the fry to a 30b or 40b, and be a very proud and tired parent of anywhere from 10-60 baby Discus.

To get back to overall stocking of a tank, Discus do best in a group of 5 or more. Adults require 10 gallons per fish but 5 or 6 is a very common practice in a 55g, along with a small group of schooling fish and perhaps an L-144. They also REQUIRE excellent husbandry. From fry all the way to full grown adults. In other words, keeping a set schedule of WC's are a MUST !!!!

I've seen quite a few people make an attempt only to wind up coming back with problems because they want to re-write keeping them "their" way. It just doesn't work. After all, they don't call them the "King of the aquarium" for nothing. Google that phrase and I guarantee the second or third result will be Discus. Along with images.

That's good parameters to house them in and therefore the need for RO is not a need anymore.

I agree and disagree with both on this. If you took anytime to read any, some, or all of the parts of the link I supplied earlier, you'd see where this does and doesn't apply. Brookster and Fishanatic are absolutely correct. With the EXCEPTION of one very important aspect. That being a (proven or possible proven) breeding pair. That is the ONLY time a smaller tank and smaller group (less than 5-6) will work.

It is not a written "requirement" that they be kept in groups of 5 or more, but it's the accepted practice for Discus keepers to do so. Without the larger quantity, you will push the stress limits of them considerably. And it will range anywhere from being more susceptible to various health concerns from contracting diseases to a shortened lifespan.

To get back to the possible pair in a 20g, that will only last about two weeks or so. Then, depending on the number of eggs that hatch, you will be quickly be moving the fry to a 30b or 40b, and be a very proud and tired parent of anywhere from 10-60 baby Discus.

To get back to overall stocking of a tank, Discus do best in a group of 5 or more. Adults require 10 gallons per fish but 5 or 6 is a very common practice in a 55g, along with a small group of schooling fish and perhaps an L-144. They also REQUIRE excellent husbandry. From fry all the way to full grown adults. In other words, keeping a set schedule of WC's are a MUST !!!!

I've seen quite a few people make an attempt only to wind up coming back with problems because they want to re-write keeping them "their" way. It just doesn't work. After all, they don't call them the "King of the aquarium" for nothing. Google that phrase and I guarantee the second or third result will be Discus. Along with images.

So I could do max 6 in a 55?
And a pair in 20?

So I could do max 6 in a 55?
And a pair in 20?

Yes, you could do 6 max in a 55.

Yes, you could do a PROVEN PAIR in a 20.

You CAN'T just go get 2, drop them in a 20, and hope for the best.

I'm more than willing to give advice and share knowledge but I'm not going to hold your hand all the way. At some point you're going to have to share that you're doing your own research as well, otherwise the new thread will be along the lines of "Why is my Discus....."

Lol I am doing my research :p that's why I brought up the question of a pair in a 20 because I read that it is possible. I also took your advice and found a breeder and asked about all his params so that I could see if I could provide the same! And that's why I asks about the 50g earlier because i read it was the minimum size for a small school. Just wanted to know you guys's(?) personal experience with them! I'm probably going to try and get a 50 and get 6 for it. Thanks for help all btw do far!

Lol I am doing my research :p that's why I brought up the question of a pair in a 20 because I read that it is possible. I also took your advice and found a breeder and asked about all his params so that I could see if I could provide the same! And that's why I asks about the 50g earlier because i read it was the minimum size for a small school. Just wanted to know you guys's(?) personal experience with them! I'm probably going to try and get a 50 and get 6 for it. Thanks for help all btw do far!

Relieved to hear about your research efforts !!! ???. I can't tell you the amount of folks that "claim" to have done it. I wouldn't do 6 in a 50, only 5. As far as the breeder, what does he/she breed/stock/sell ? Are they close to you so you can pick them out or will it be mail order ? I've got 10 years of on and off (mostly on between relocating a few times) experience (and yes, guy lol) and will always have them in at least one tank. After my final relocation next year, I'll have 3 tanks of the different varieties. You're very welcome on the help. Happy to share it with someone as enthusiastic as you !!! Keep the updates coming.

Relieved to hear about your research efforts !!! ???. I can't tell you the amount of folks that "claim" to have done it. I wouldn't do 6 in a 50, only 5. As far as the breeder, what does he/she breed/stock/sell ? Are they close to you so you can pick them out or will it be mail order ? I've got 10 years of on and off (mostly on between relocating a few times) experience (and yes, guy lol) and will always have them in at least one tank. After my final relocation next year, I'll have 3 tanks of the different varieties. You're very welcome on the help. Happy to share it with someone as enthusiastic as you !!! Keep the updates coming.

The breeder breeds discus only I believe and yah he lives within an hours drive of me I'm pretty sure.
I'm planning to get the tank at Christmas and then get the fish but I want to do a lot of research before I really go like balls deep for them :p Still got a little convincing with my mom though lol. But even if she doesn't let me I'm planning to work at my LFS so it would be good info to have :)

How about discus in a planted tank? 4" discus. Would it work? The opinions are really spread ou online so looking for some info from experience

Back
Top Bottom