Discus Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoC4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
NicoC4
I have a Discus in my community tank and he seems to be happy. His colors are great. He is eating very well. But I went to a pet store today and they told me that the other fish I have in the tank with him are not okay and that he will die. I was wondering if anyone had a knowledge they could give me on this.

3-cory cats
2-upside down cats
3-gaint dino's
2-blue rams
1-red tail shark
3-bala sharks
1-killafish
1-pleco
2-Striped Leporinus

NicoC4

Welcome to the community!

That is sure scary to hear from the lfs and possibly partially true.

What size tank would this be?

What is the temp of the tank?

And what size fish?

There is so much to know about Discus.

Temp and tankmates the Rams and Discus would go together. What about the kind of Cory cats?

Discus help

Tanks temp: 81-83

Tank size 55 Gallon

Bala sharks: 1 1/2
red tail shark: 1 1/2
rams: 1 1/2
cory: 1/2
upside down cats: 2
pleaco: 1 1/2
giant dinos: 1 1/2
discus: 2

There all happy. No one is picking on one another.

If I am understanding correctly you have the second number in the last post as their sizes in inches right now?

If that is the case then you have baby fish and since they are babies, they aren't apt to start fighting as much until they start developing into maturity and exerting their dominance for mates and territory (not true with all fish).

Issues for the future of your tank. Giant Danios are really busy fish and can get the Discus nervous. As may the red tail shark a large 6" or so fish best in a larger 75G tank because they swim a lot and cruise a large area of territory and can attack a fish like a Discus for hanging out in IT'S territory.

Bala sharks get well over a foot and when housed properly need about a 6 foot long tank and a group to shoal with.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ze-for-school-of-adult-bala-sharks-93996.html

Discus prefer a group and the 55G while right now would be fine, but they will need more room and have additional special preferences.

If your fish are 2 inches, they are babies and require warmer water and frequent food and near if not constantly, perfect water parameters with pwc every day to other day. Are you feeding them specially, like black worms & beef heart. If not cared for properly they will become stunted and have large eyes in proportion to body size, and mishshapen body development.

A good reference to check your tank stock combinations would be AqAdvisor dot com. They tend to be conservative but it is really good because most people run into issues at times and can't always do pwc's that they should and having less of a bioload is smarter.

OVERSTOCKED for discus..
55 is too small to start.
All sharks,plecos ,upside down cats and the Dinos should go..
The cories and rams are good.
Get temp up over 80...

Back
Top Bottom