Discus in Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have an opinion about putting a discus in a well established community tank? I think the only fish that there would be a problem with, is an adult angel.
Thanks.

When getting into discus, you're entering a whole new ball game, they have to have pristine water, meaning like every other day water changes, 2 Heaters so there's not a water temp difference , they ate a warm water fish like 84-87°, great filtration , no ph drops/raises, they are supposed to be in groups of 5+, minimum tank size is 55 gallon, they are very hard to take care of, plus they are slow eaters, if your other fish eat fast the discuss will starve.

Second everything that potluck has said. I'd recommend a species only tank for discus.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to go against the grain and this is an exception... I have a discus in tank with an angel, couple of rams, a severum and a blue acara.
Perhaps not the ideal situation for a discus but all is well in that tank and peaceful. I think what helps the discus is that he is a bully! Again the exception but has worked for me. BTW it's going on 4 years.
However, for discus to thrive I do agree they should be kept by themselves with pristine water condition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely an exception. I would say while they may survive, they're much happier in schools of 5 or more. That said, the discus in gilpis tank may be the king of that jungle and is leading a perfectly happy life.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for your comments. I have always had good luck with GBRs and currently have 6 in a 36 gal tank, which has never been advised. I do have 2 heaters, a very large canister filter, and my parameters are perfect. I guess exceptions to all rules exist, but I will certainly listen to your advice.

I have a 36 gal planted. I have an angel, a SAE, GBRs and small dither fish (neons, cherry barbs). I think that my total stock number is at 23 or 24. It's a very peaceful tank.

Adult Discus are way less picky about water conditions. I've talked to several owners and they do weekly water changes . It's the juvies that need daily water changes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Adult Discus are way less picky about water conditions. I've talked to several owners and they do weekly water changes . It's the juvies that need daily water changes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

And the big ones cost 2-3x or more the $$ of the youngsters! :brows:

From my understanding, the water changes are based on the massive feeding of really messy foods and aren't really needed if you are not over feeding or doing things like beef heart.

Oddly enough, two breeders I spoke to recently commented that they like discus for Community tanks. And that things like cardinals (or even neons) would only be eaten if I'll.

Just adding a little.

My LFS owner also said that in a relatively heavily planted tank, with low nitrates would be compatible with a discus as well. There seems to be a difference in opinion as far as if they would thrive in a community tank. My LFS also said that they will only grow as large as their environment allows, so that's another interesting difference in what others have said. I'll continue to research.

My LFS also said that they will only grow as large as their environment allows, so that's another interesting difference in what others have said. I'll continue to research.

Yes, but the results are stunting. Which can also be contributed to by not having the proper nutrition (space is a factor as is water quality). That is why good breeders of show quality fish have BIG fish and and then their eyes don't look huge and they can get the size of a luncheon plate ~8+". Most home keepers fish are the size of a grapefruit or orange at adulthood and their eyes look large for the fish.

These are awesome fish!!!

From my understanding, the water changes are based on the massive feeding of really messy foods and aren't really needed if you are not over feeding or doing things like beef heart.

Oddly enough, two breeders I spoke to recently commented that they like discus for Community tanks. And that things like cardinals (or even neons) would only be eaten if I'll.

Just adding a little.

This is interesting.
Though I have a discus in a community tank, I'm not sure it's the ideal situation in most cases.
The little experience I've had with discus, I've been able to notice their behavior and it seems not all behave the same way in a group,. I feel some could not survive in a community environment due to their "personalities " some shy reclusive and easily spooked, while others more up front and ready to eat anything that gets dropped in the tank. While the latter is the exception, they're the ones that could survive in a community tank.
Would love to see more comments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 6 discus in a 125 gallon community tank and they are thriving. I cater to my discus with water temp and so fourth, but I have everything from tiger barbs(yes I said tigers) to ember tetras,rasboras,bloodfin tetras,zebras,sparkling gouramis, butterfly loaches,clown loaches, and Cory cats. I am always observing my tank and put a lot of my time into it. I'd say as long as you have groups for species and they adjust to warmer water You would be happy with the result. I can watch my fish for hours. They have lived together harmoniously for some time now! IMG_1179.jpgIMG_1219.jpg

I have 6 discus in a 125 gallon community tank and they are thriving. I cater to my discus with water temp and so fourth, but I have everything from tiger barbs(yes I said tigers) to ember tetras,rasboras,bloodfin tetras,zebras,sparkling gouramis, butterfly loaches,clown loaches, and Cory cats. I am always observing my tank and put a lot of my time into it. I'd say as long as you have groups for species and they adjust to warmer water You would be happy with the result. I can watch my fish for hours. They have lived together harmoniously for some time now! View attachment 297605View attachment 297606

That is a great sized tank!!!

Those guys look young still. Maybe raising them in this kind of situation helps them be used to the commotion. Be careful as they get older and closer to forming pairs /breeding. That is when things can get cranky.

Thank you! They are on the younger side less then a year so I'll keep my eyes open on pairing

A 36 is too small as others have said..You sound like you have excellent fish keeping skills and could do well under right set up. Much bigger...Worth the wait !:flowers:
I think gilpi hit the nail on the head..(y)
And on the size of fish... This is for all...
No one gets to choose what size it is going to be..at least not and say they are keeping fish proper..Fish grow just like puppies and people..X% every WEEK and THEN every month...So if a fish is older but you fed them less to keep them smaller you did them no favor..It is stunting whether intentional or not.
I breed rams and have discus breeding friends...If the fish does not grow at the proper rate it is not a #1 saleable fish...

Fish that grow too large in confined spaces may suffer from the same organ confinement the 'balloon' fish do...Not good either way..
So basically whether you are capable of raising a fish properly you should always at least have the proper set up IMO. It is the perfect excuse for the big tank you all want..:whistle:
Not to be mean but I plan to upgrade is smoke and not in the fishes best interest.

Back
Top Bottom