Discus Pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I have a 55 gallon that I am turning into a planted tank could I keep a pair of discus with some small schooling fish.

I would just keep the discus. If anything else some very peaceful Bolivian Rams.
Discus are slow moving, easily stressed fish, they're also slow feeders so most other fish will get to the food before they do.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Make sure you have done as much research as possible. After that, do more research.

Discus are one of the hardest freshwater fish to take care of. They need pristine water, very frequent water changes, and are intolerant to any sudden changes in the water(spikes, temp, ph).

Be prepared to spend a bunch on the fish. They are quite expensive.

A quarantine tank is extremely recommended. QT each fish before adding because they are very susceptible to disease.

It is a challenging fish. But is also very rewarding. You can keep 4 in a 55g

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Make sure you have done as much research as possible. After that, do more research.

Discus are one of the hardest freshwater fish to take care of. They need pristine water, very frequent water changes, and are intolerant to any sudden changes in the water(spikes, temp, ph).

Be prepared to spend a bunch on the fish. They are quite expensive.

A quarantine tank is extremely recommended. QT each fish before adding because they are very susceptible to disease.

It is a challenging fish. But is also very rewarding. You can keep 4 in a 55g

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Hey man im new to the forums and kinda new to fish im curious if its possible/ethical to keep a single discus in a 20 gallon long

Hey man im new to the forums and kinda new to fish im curious if its possible/ethical to keep a single discus in a 20 gallon long

Discus are best kept in groups. I wouldn't recommend them to any new fish keeper because of the reasons I listed above. And you are talking about 1 fish that is anywhere from $40-$200 each depending on species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

55 gallon is the recommended minimum for discus. even in breeding I think. (Unsure about breeding size)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have decided not to do discus but thanks anyway.

I'm not discouraging you from getting them bud. Simply trying to prepare you that they are very sensitive fish and require much more care than the ordinary tetra or Rainbowfish.

If you have the determination, skill, time, and money go for it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm not discouraging you from getting them bud. Simply trying to prepare you that they are very sensitive fish and require much more care than the ordinary tetra or Rainbowfish.

If you have the determination, skill, time, and money go for it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok, and that's one of the main reasons I'm not getting them. Also I was just curious to see what you guys thought about keeping only two discus. I have heard that it is possible but I even I wouldn't try it. Lol

I would keep the fish. It would be great for the tank and they would love the plants that they could swim through and such

Back
Top Bottom