Discus ph questions help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrawberryBlonde7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recent bought four 3 inch discus. The previous owner kept the pH of 7.2. They were bred in captivity. My tapwater is at 7.0. Currently I'm cycling the new tank they're going to be in. Currently the local fish store is boarding them. The tank they're going to be in that is cycling right now is running in a very low pH between six and 6.5. I think that they are currently in is also trying to stay low. I've been adding neutralized to keep it closer to seven. Should I be trying to keep it around the 6.8 And slowly wean it down closer towards six? Or should I keep trying to fight it closer to seven? My goal is to have two of them pair And sell the other two to have them breed. Any advice about discus in general be appreciated.

If there is a fish that likes its water to be consistent, it's a discus. Don't mess with the water and you're more likely to succeed. If your tap pH is 7, keep it at 7. Your husbandry regimen is more important.

David

Do you think I'll ever get to wean them down I bet I would have a better time keeping consistent lower

Do you think I'll ever get to wean them down I bet I would have a better time keeping consistent lower

They would acclimate down to that with no problem BUT in the other thread you were talking about plants in that tank and you need to test you KH and GH and get them adjusted to preferably around 4 for each. Then once you get GH and KH correct for growing plants then see where your PH settles at. If you don't want to adjust GH/KH for plants then you are going to have to limit yourself to growing only plants that grow well in very soft water. Not saying it can't be done, just that your limited that way. So the discus will adjust to the water at whatever it's normal stable number is.

Hmmm. I have trying to read alot but mostly about the discus, let me see if I understand

The plants need levels around 4 but the discus like it a bit lower than that? Is that right?

My priority would be the fish.
These are the two plants I have now, do you know if they would be appropriate? I need to look up the names and info. Are there any plants you would recommend
so discus and plant would be happy?discus and plant would be happy?

Attachments

• image-787690054.jpg
    image-787690054.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 63
I had never used them until I got these discus, they are staying at the local fish store and I go to check the ph every day. The ph is low like around 6 so I have been trying to keep it a bit higher with neutral regulator because they are used to 7.2 it stays at like 6.8 for a day the migrates back down to 6.4. I'm torn with letting it stay low and stable or trying to keep it closer to 7 because they are used to 7.2. Side note they are not happy haven't eaten yet . What would you suggest, the plants are really just an added bonus I had credit at a store so got them. My main priority are the discus

I had never used them until I got these discus, they are staying at the local fish store and I go to check the ph every day. The ph is low like around 6 so I have been trying to keep it a bit higher with neutral regulator because they are used to 7.2 it stays at like 6.8 for a day the migrates back down to 6.4. I'm torn with letting it stay low and stable or trying to keep it closer to 7 because they are used to 7.2. Side note they are not happy haven't eaten yet . What would you suggest, the plants are really just an added bonus I had credit at a store so got them. My main priority are the discus

Are the discus at the store where the ph is low and your using neutral regulator to raise the ph? Or is the ph at your house tank low and you've been using the neutral regulator there. It's kind of confusing.

The plants are water sprite and looks to be an amazon sword. If they are doing/growing fine in whatever water you have them in now then don't worry. I will tell you discus will feel more secure in a planted tank (alot of plants).

Where ever the discus are you need to leave the water alone, messing with the ph sending it up and down is enough to make them not eat. Try feeding them some frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms and see if they eat but only add a little to the water at a time to be sure they are going to eat.

As for the waters just leave them at whatever the ph is naturally and let the discus acclimate.

The ph is low like around 6 so I have been trying to keep it a bit higher with neutral regulator because they are used to 7.2 it stays at like 6.8 for a day the migrates back down to 6.4.

I recall reading somewhere that Neutral Regulator should not be used in planted tanks, although the reason escapes me...

David

Sorry to be so confusing. Both the water at the store where my fish are and the tank they are going to go into at home want to be at a lower ph. I have tried frozen bloodworms. I haven't seen them eat but I really haven't been able to sit and watch them more than a few minutes because I'm running into the store checking the ph and running back out. That's why I am itching to get the home so I can watch them more closely.

The picture of the plants is in the new tank and the plants are brand new.

If your water and the stores water are staying at a constant, stable ph, regardless of what it is then I would suggest not messing with trying to change the water. This can be harmful to the fish (using the chemicals) and could be why they aren't eating.

Don't know why you would be told to do that. In a planted tank you don't really need or want to have carbon in you filter but that's it. What type of lighting and bulbs are on the tank? What plants you can have will depend on your lighting. Plus you ultra soft water might cause issues with some plants also.

That is very low stock light so you will have to stick to only a couple plants. You can use any of the species of Anubia tied to driftwood, Java ferns both regular and Wendilov, and with your soft water Bolbitus (African fern) would so really well. Crypts "might" work in those lights but that is about it for plants with that light.

I suppose I need to start somewhere, lol. I feel like I can never find the exact info I want and when I can, never enough time.
Thanks so much for your help

Strawberry

What exactly are you asking

Perhaps I can be of assistance

M

Back
Top Bottom