Discus Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreeB1360

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im a beginner with the discus fish, but i have been keeping aquariums for a couple of years now.... i have a 40 gallon cichlid tank and a 40 gallon community tank.... Anyway my question has to do with my 20 gallon high tank and discus.... Im not sure i want to fully jump into getting a 55 gallon tank or larger with a discus stock just because i dont want to waste my money on a fish that i cant manage to keep alive... I was wondering if i could keep mabey 5 or so small juviniles in a 20 gallon as a temporary housing situation to see if i can keep them alive with my water conditions... Im prepared to do as much matience as nessacary... Also if i could keep juvies in this tank for any period of time, how long would it take for them to outgrow it? and how often would i have to do water changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Im a beginner with the discus fish, but i have been keeping aquariums for a couple of years now.... i have a 40 gallon cichlid tank and a 40 gallon community tank.... Anyway my question has to do with my 20 gallon high tank and discus.... Im not sure i want to fully jump into getting a 55 gallon tank or larger with a discus stock just because i dont want to waste my money on a fish that i cant manage to keep alive... I was wondering if i could keep mabey 5 or so small juviniles in a 20 gallon as a temporary housing situation to see if i can keep them alive with my water conditions... Im prepared to do as much matience as nessacary... Also if i could keep juvies in this tank for any period of time, how long would it take for them to outgrow it? and how often would i have to do water changes?

5 juvies would be way overstocking. Especially for discus. I would do 1. 2 at the most. And I believe most discus owners do daily water changes. I'm sure 50% every 3 days with GOOD water should be ok. Make sure you plant the tank well also.

okay thanks for the quick reply :)

Thats an absolute no for discus in a 20g tank. Especially if you are beginning with them.

Discus need to be kept in schools and need great water parameters. Neither of which are easy to accomplish in a 20g high. They also need adequate swimming room which a 20h definitely doesnt have.

okay so if i really want discus i should be prepared to get a 55 or larger then right?

Okay thankyou for the advice :)

I'd say 20g is ok for a pair, better yet a 29 or a 30g. A 55 would be good for 4 or 5 discus, these are all minimum sizes, bigger tanks are better.
As sillyfishies I also agree your 20 is small for 5 but it also has to do with how big they are when you put them in it and for how long you are keeping them there.
I have two in a 20 they're about a year old. You will have to make your water changes priority and not rely so much on your filter, I use a small sponge filter with air just to get the water moving but rely more on the water changes and it is a bare bottom tank to keep it cleaner, I change about 70% of the water two to three times a week and put nothing else in the tank that will change or pollute the water.
Keeping discus is not an impossible task, just requires a bit more work and will change your perspective on fishkeeping overall.
If you are going to commit yourself to 5 of them I'd say you'll have to eventually think about getting a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom