Discus Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. Do they really need 50 gallons, or can I put one in my 37 gallon?

2. My water is pretty hard right out then tap (~7.7ph). Can I still get a discus?What if I add the API stuff that lowers the ph?

One discus can go in a 37 gallon, however what else is in there with it?

I have high ph and keep discus alive quite well for several years. Don't add anything to adjust the ph, stable ph for discus is better than fluctuations.

Also discus require warmer water than a lot of other fish, and also require pristine water parameters. Take this into consideration when thinking of discus.

There are 3 angelfish, 1 pleco(i am aware that he will be grow too big and will be moved accordingly), 2 Ryukin Goldish(this is a temporary basis), and 4 cory cats. I do 50% water changes weekly. My temp is ~81F.

Generally it isn't recommended to have angelfish and discus together. They are both cichlids and the discus can get picked on or even not get enough to eat as they are not as agressive eaters as angelfish.

Also get rid of the goldies before considering discus. Discus prefer temps in the 80's.

I just fed them, and my angelfish didn't pick on my other fish. When they mate, the angel pair get very aggressive, but other than that I haven't noticed them to be particularly agressive. +/

Do you have any pointers/tips that I should know about Discus?

Is the tank planted? Keep in mind that a healthy discus can easily get over 6" so this tank would not be long term with the other occupants that you have.

If the tank is planted you will need to do at minimum, 1-2 water changes per week, if not you may need to do more to keep the parameters perfect.

It will take a bit of determination to figure out what kind of water change schedule you will need. But as long as you keep things stable, the discus will do well.

I just fed them, and my angelfish didn't pick on my other fish. When they mate, the angel pair get very aggressive, but other than that I haven't noticed them to be particularly agressive. +/

Do you have any pointers/tips that I should know about Discus?

They will pick on discus, trust me. I had to separate my 2 angels and 6 discus because the angels were crowding the discus to one side and barely allowing them to eat. It worked out for a couple months, but a couple months is not indicative of long term success. I expect you would have the same results, especially in a 37. My tank is 75 gallons and heavily planted.

I also would not recommend keeping a single discus. They prefer to be kept either in pairs or groups as Jason mentioned. A single discus will be so shy it won't have a chance with 3 angels in there.

Back
Top Bottom