Discus questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffmik_2008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently acquired a 75 gallon with a fluval 305. I have had it for about a month and all my parameters are spot on except maybe my hardness with is at 75 ppm and alkalinity is at 80. I was told my ph needs to come down in order to have discus be happy. Is that true? What else should I know about keeping discus? I also want to have ram cichlids, loaches, maybe a synodontis catfish, and some tetra. Would that be too much? Thanks!

We'll you said that your pH needs to come down but you did not say what your pH is. Against the norm I keep discus happily in a pH of 7.5 and I have heard of them being kept in as high as 7.8. A steady pH with most fish is much more important than the perfect pH. By not playing with my pH, every water change is not being treated to make it perfect. With this water parameters are not shifting with every water change. And discus need a lot of water changes...several per week in fact. Discus demand good water and you need to be willing to devote the time for them as they can get sick easily. If you have not kept them before make sure to do lots of reading. There are a lot of great articles and sites to be found on the internet. As far as your stocking questions it would depend on quantities with your tank. AqAdvisor.com is a good tool to help you figure out stocking levels and filtration capacity for your equipment. Good luck.

Thanks @Stewy. My ph is 7.4. My local store where I was going to buy them from was saying a low 6 is ideal. My other parameters and my ph are very stable. Now I am trying to wait it out for the tank to be cycled for a little longer; it's only been about a month or so. Water changes are okay with me. It makes me spend even more time with my tank which I have no problem with. So do you do any additives to your water during changes?

Hi I keep my discus at around 6.8 and water changes twice a week jus add water conditioner unless your using RO water how many discus are you thinking of getting?

As long as he pH is stable, is the only thing you need to be on top of. The fine, misinformed folks at your LFS are there to sell you crap you don't need. It's called separating you from your hard earned money and it's pretty rude. It's best to be as close to the pH that they come from. I wouldn't buy Discus from an LFS. They get the worst of the worst and sell them way above their value. They also do best in groups of 5 or more. Don't just dump them in a tank after getting them either. IMO/E, it's the WORST thing you can do. They need QT first. With proper husbandry, you can have some beauties like this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396435386.355851.jpg

If you would like some more info, pm me and I can open you to another world on these monsters.

As long as he pH is stable, is the only thing you need to be on top of. The fine, misinformed folks at your LFS are there to sell you crap you don't need. It's called separating you from your hard earned money and it's pretty rude. It's best to be as close to the pH that they come from. I wouldn't buy Discus from an LFS. They get the worst of the worst and sell them way above their value. They also do best in groups of 5 or more. Don't just dump them in a tank after getting them either. IMO/E, it's the WORST thing you can do. They need QT first. With proper husbandry, you can have some beauties like this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396435618.970020.jpg
If you would like some more info, pm me and I can open you to another world on these monsters.

@stephen86 I plan on having at a minimum of 2. As long as they are happy with gold/German blue rams and tetras I'm all for them. They are beautiful fish and something no one around here I know of that has them

Where should I get the discus if not from my LSF? My usual LSF is pretty good for pricing and I don't know why they said so low unless that was the pH they were out

Ok well they do like to be in groups of 5 or 6 or more and I have mine with rams. Cardinals would be better than neons cardinals will stand up to the water temperature better. There's is quite alot of information on how to care for discus so I would do some research and not rush into buying them it will be worth it in the long run if u need any advice you only need to ask

A local breeder would be best where abouts are you from?

A quality breeder is what you want. Not just someone in it to make money that doesn't care who you are after they take your hard earned cash. There are a few quality importers that easily can be found on the web offering quality specimens at great prices.

Back
Top Bottom