Discus Tank Inspiration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I’ve had Rainbowfish for years and after loosing a few of my bigger ones, I’m looking at moving onto something else.

I’m after advice and tank inspiration for Discus.

Tank is 6 x 2 x 2.5 (iirc) so a fair size. 2 x Aqua One 2700 running on it so should be adequate filtration.

I’ve researched as much as possible and seem to see that 28-30°c and around a 7.2pH is ideal - is this correct and how would they go at a slightly higher PH (our tap water is 7.4-7.6pH. I can use buffers and pH correctors but would like to keep that as minimal as possible.

Can anyone share photos of their discus tanks! I would like to keep it pretty minimal and as few plants as possible (the rainbow tank is currently fairly planted but I’m over them now) with preferably small, slow growing plant varieties.

I have small brown gravel currently and would like to keep that if possible, but can change to sand if needed.

Not going to be co2 injected so ph and temp should stay fairly consistent.

Is there anything major I’m missing? Tank maintenance and water quality isn’t really a concern, currently doing a 25-40% water change weekly as is.

All help, advice and tank shots would be greatly appreciated!

Well, using pH buffers is a very bad idea - I would not recommend it with discus.
Discus prefer very soft, neutral to slightly acidic water. Your pH would indicate slightly basic water, likely with a little too much hardness to it.
Discus are best kept with large water changes ensuring tank cleanliness. 25% - 40% once a week is not recommended unless you are under stocked. Even so, larger water changes are better for discus.

I would recommend buying adult discus unless you plan on raising the juveniles (quite a large task).

RO water can be mixed with your tap to create softer water, with a lower TDS and pH.

I agree with ZxC on all points except for buying adult discus. I've purchased juvenile discus twice and had no problem with raising them. Plus they are cheaper. Warm water, slightly acidic, very soft, is what they like. And frequent 50% water changes.

Just my opinion, obviously, but I minimize the use of any chemicals to change the composition of the water. All you will be doing is constantly trying to change water parameters. Best to get an RO system to keep both pH (always pH by the way, not ph) and hardness on the low side.

Domestic discus will do just fine in your water, key Is stability. Check your water out of the tap, set up a bucket with air stone and run it for a few days, then check ph again. Best to set up a heated water barrel with air stone for water changes. Let water age for a few days prior to wcs, add dechlorinator an hour prior to wc. As for stock, sourcing from a local breeder is best. Getting young discus will be most economical but require far more feedings and wcs. My longest running discus are locally bred that I got the size of golfballs.

Domestic discus will do just fine in your water, key Is stability. Check your water out of the tap, set up a bucket with air stone and run it for a few days, then check ph again. Best to set up a heated water barrel with air stone for water changes. Let water age for a few days prior to wcs, add dechlorinator an hour prior to wc. As for stock, sourcing from a local breeder is best. Getting young discus will be most economical but require far more feedings and wcs. My longest running discus are locally bred that I got the size of golfballs.

Thanks for the advice! I know my pH is pretty basic (7.4 straight out of the tap) and a GH of about 3 or 4°.

I’ll set up a bucket of water for a few days and retest it and see how it is then.

Water barrel might be a bit difficult to do as I’d need 80 gallons sat around for a week. Might need to look into reverse osmosis.

I live in pretty rural Australia so it’s going to be fun to find a local breeder. If I can find someone relatively nearby the water should at least be similar.

Back
Top Bottom