Discus Transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F-18 TECH

Aquarium Advice Regular
So here is my dilemma;
I am attending an auction this long weekend and hope to be picking up some discus at either this auction or at a pet store in the city. I live 3 hours away and am concerned for the well being of the fish on this long journey back to my home. I am going to be taking a cooler with me to help insulate them from the scortching sun in the back of my car. As well I am thinking that I should even leave immidately after I have recieved discus and not wait around until the end of the auction. You know to see if anything interesting tweeks my interest, what do you guys think? Is my plan sound in practice? Please let me know thanks

discus dont mind hot water, they like it around 86 so hot water wont kill them. just bring them home in what they were brought in. If they are coming from the same breeder/location then they can be combined as the PH and chemical aspects of the water should be the same. maybe bring a air pump and id keep some prime on hand just in case they were feed and foul the water, that way you can atleast detox it till you get home. Then do the drip method or if the water PH is the same just float and add tank water then plopem in. If there is already discus in the tank then QT so you dont spread disease. If they are coming from different breeders/stores then QT so you dont run the rick of cross contamination.

I wouldn't worry about. We used to drive over 3 hours to a lfs just to get fish, even some sensitive ones such as German Blue Rams and True Rummynose Tetras. We never had any problems. When fish are shipped they are in a bag overnight. Chances are the seller did not feed the Discus for at least two days or so before bringing them to auction.

Sweet thanks guys you confirmed what I was thinking all along, I guess I am just paranoid.

The transport is absolutely no problem. I once bought discus at an auction in Atlanta and took them on my flight back home to NY. If packaged properly (one per bag for adults), they can easily survive 36 hours.

A note of caution. IMO cross contamination of disease between tanks can occur quite easily at a discus auction. The more breeders and the more importers that attend, the higher the likelihood of that. I've had a bout of discus plague happen from just such an auction.

Well everything went well with the transport of the Discus this weekend it is now wednesday and things are looking good in the tank. They survived the trip nicely. I purchased 3 gold discus of varying size from 1 1\2 inches to 3 inches. All are well. Thankyou for the info

Back
Top Bottom