Discussion Time - Gravel or Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it possible that your water might have went stagnant, it is just sitting in the bucket. Also you do not need an airstone. I only use them in fry tanks or if I have to raise ny heat ib the tanks.
A good hang off the back filter works great to put oxygen in the water. It creates lots of surface agitation the same with spray bars. As long as you have enough agitation you will be fine. Your fish will sit at the top of the water and gasp for air if you dont have enough oxygen.

Is it possible that your water might have went stagnant, it is just sitting in the bucket. Also you do not need an airstone. I only use them in fry tanks or if I have to raise ny heat ib the tanks.
A good hang off the back filter works great to put oxygen in the water. It creates lots of surface agitation the same with spray bars. As long as you have enough agitation you will be fine. Your fish will sit at the top of the water and gasp for air if you dont have enough oxygen.

Does stagnate water smell like chemicals ?

Does stagnate water smell like chemicals ?

Depends on the water source I suppose. In your case, any chlorine in the tap water that has sat out for a while should dissipate and I assume it would smell less "chemically".
Pfs is cheap; I'd start again and maybe use a different source. This time only wash a portion of it first and see if you smell the same thing.

Depends on the water source I suppose. In your case, any chlorine in the tap water that has sat out for a while should dissipate and I assume it would smell less "chemically".
Pfs is cheap; I'd start again and maybe use a different source. This time only wash a portion of it first and see if you smell the same thing.

I guess I'll have to do that :/

Patrick, I can't PM you. You have to clear some old messages or subscribe for an unlimited amount, well 25,000 anyway!!!

Combed through looking for danio fry for an hour found none awesome probably dumped em out

image-2700452029.jpg

I have sand used probably 35 pounds !

image-2989736015.jpg

Didnt think is do more than 2 inches and I have like 3 In some areas here is hoping I don't crack my tank lol!

image-622607272.jpg

I was told that agitating and airing the tank would help lower the PH from my tap
image-540856527.jpg

The bag of rocks is old substrate I'm trying to keep as much BB as possible

So here it is!

image-1845444076.jpg

I also added some of my old gravel to the tank because the zebra danio keep laying eggs and the fry always hide jn the rocks so I'm doing this to give then a fighting chance.

image-14249838.jpg

image-3208401477.jpg

image-4198428233.jpg

And I have this media bag filled with some of my old substrate and an air stone to keep as much BB in the tank as possible. Honestly I'm not sure if that does Anything or not but I just thought I would try.

image-3471354979.jpg

image-1664691868.jpg

image-3484355067.jpg

Nice. Putting some of that gravel in the filter will also benefit your bacteria. For the eggs/fry, it would be a good idea to cover your intake with a prefilter sponge or some new pantyhose....

Nice. Putting some of that gravel in the filter will also benefit your bacteria. For the eggs/fry, it would be a good idea to cover your intake with a prefilter sponge or some new pantyhose....

I'm just going with survival of the fittest haha some survived last time they hide in the gravel untill they are pretty large

Sorry, only skimmed through most of this thread. Did you end up with the Ray 2? That's quite a lot of light, which is why normally I'd recommend going with a substrate more plant-specific like EcoComplete (or anything similar). But nothing wrong with sand too! Obviously you can't beat the price and I like how it looks too.

No I'm just using he little led that came with my tank for now don't have the $ at the moment.

Sand is really light I think it will disturb it ill probably just get one of these even though they don't look to great

You can bury the whole thing if you want. You don't need the porous side showing... If you did go with sand sometimes putting a layer of gravel above the stone and then the sand helps to keep the sand under control.

I'm worried a out the bubbles being to close to the sand not the ability to hold it down. It's like the disturbance being to close to the sand could cause it to cloud up

If pfs has been used it will not cloud up. The grains size is much larger then that of play sand it it doesn't float around your tank. It sinks instantly. Search it on YouTube .

I was told that agitating and airing the tank would help lower the PH from my tap

The bag of rocks is old substrate I'm trying to keep as much BB as possible

Not true you need buffer is order to change you ph. The person might have been thinking about the change when it gases out. But that is different. Just keep your ph at what it is. Don't add coral or peat to change it. For what you want there is no need for it! I keep all my tanks at the tap level except for when I need to alter the water for spawning. Just dechlorinate it!

Oops wrong thread...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130706_074724.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130706_074724.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom