Disturbing fish after lights out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Once the lights go out in the tank, how much do you think the fish are disturbed by things like the t.v., room lights, or radio? I'm not talking about watching top gun with the surround sound all the way up or anything, just regular old hanging out.

I don't think it has an affect on them at all. I have my 26G next to my 600W theater system, lol. Not bothered by it at all, lol.

I have my 1g tank right next to my subwoofer on my computer. While playing Battlefield 2 that thing will actually cause ripples in the water.

My little shrimp are perfectly happy! They just hang out and do "shrimp stuff". My other tanks have no problems either.

But if you decided to shine a movie projector into the tank and blast 18" subwoofers while playing Dr. Dre.....your fish may attack you in your sleep. ;)

Lonewolfblue said:
I don't think it has an affect on them at all. I have my 26G next to my 600W theater system, lol. Not bothered by it at all, lol.

...until someone start blarring country music, then the fish just go belly up

bs6749 said:
"Enemy boat spotted".

LOL! I like to do that a lot to people.

Good thing is......I won't be kicked. I admin the server. :lol:

Hey now there's nothing wrong with country. Now junk like Spears and Simpson. :evil:

I honestly think turning on the lights in the morning is more stressful than anything else. As someone once said "it's like a nuclear blast of light in the middle of the night". I'd hate that.

LOL. I never thought of it that way Burks. Maybe I should train my fish to hide under rocks and stuff when I toot horn right before I turn the lights on, just like those old fire drills for the atom bomb!

lol!

Lights on for my fish usually confirms their belief that they're about to be fed so they're never bothered.

As for sound: actually I included that in my thinking behind why my original F8 puffer may have died. I still don't know the precise cause, but I've always wondered if playing my bass guitar had anything to do with it since he was in the same room (even though it was by no means loud). Sound travels very easily through the medium of water...(some fish even spawn by making a drum-like beating noise as if to say "hokays, I'm ready now, come and have your pleasure" lol). I will never know what caused it, but I'll never be playing bass or music loud in the same room as fish just to be on the safe side.

The only thing that freaks my fish out is the glass top slamming shut (it sort of freaks me out too) and my five year old son sneaking up on my pictus. I wish he wouldn't do that.

Burks said:
Good thing is......I won't be kicked. I admin the server. :lol:

I honestly think turning on the lights in the morning is more stressful than anything else. As someone once said "it's like a nuclear blast of light in the middle of the night". I'd hate that.

I think that the USMC commander's is the best because he really puts the emphasis on "BOAT" lol.

What I try to do in the morning before turning on the lights of the aquarium is to turn the ceiling light on in the room for about 15-20 minutes. That way maybe they see it and start to move around a little bit and aren't so surprised when the aquarium lights go on.

Is it me or are resting/sleeping fish sort of really funny? I love catching them out, sort of floating quietly near the bottom. They're not 'asleep' like humans (obviously) but it's really weird seeing it! The best is a gigantic beast of a molly I have in one tank: she actually sits on the bottom while she rests. If you catch her unawares anything near her gets flung in the wake lol

I usually have the TV on in my room where there are currently 2 stocked tanks.
The lights normally go out before the TV goes off and they seem perfectly fine to me.
The one thing i don't like is the sudden 'lights off' ''its now night time' when the lights do go out, it's very un-natural.
I like to think the light from the TV is 'dusk' then it's not such a sudden pitch black darkness.

I've seen my fish get freaked when my surround system gets going. they happen to be near 2 of the 7.1 speakers that i have in my system. When im watching a movie it tends to be at rather loud levels, when there is a lot of activity with the surround channels ive seen a few fish go bonkers for the few seconds that it is loud.

well liek I've said many of times before, I had no other place to put one of my tanks but in my bands jam room, we mainly played at night after work till way into the morning, we had 16 500 watt par cans for lighting, and a 5000 watt PA system on 4 15 inch speakers, we played extremely loud, so loud I lost some of my hearing and I'm only 22, my fish never seemed affected by it, but in my bedroom, my 2 plecos get freaked out when the lights come on, but thats normal for them

Disturbance

If ANYTHING scared the fish it would be Battlefield 2!! I LOVE that Game!! and mine don't seem to mind the noise :D I also sing and they just watch me :) I think they enjoy the noise!!

The only thing that seems to spook my fish is when i push my keyboard drawer on my desk in.

I have a 400 watt sub connected to my computer, and 5 40 watt speakers in my room. It REALLY thumps. So much so, that i ahve to put my mouse in its charger when i walk away, b/c it can rattle off and fall on the floor. The fish dont react at all. They are used to me being here, as i spend probably 7 hours a day in front of them. The only time they react if is i "knock" on the desk they're tank is on. They don't even react to tapping on the glass. (not that i do it often.)

I only tap on the glass if the fish appear to be fighting :p (which they don't do now that i've seperated the gourami's)

I try to turn the lights on and off gradually. In the morning when I get up, its usually about 10min before the lights in the tank come on (timer). I'll turn the ceiling light on. At night I'll turn the ceiling light on for about 10min prior and leave it on about 10min after. I've seen the fish freak out in the morning if it goes from pitch black to lights on. I'm sure just like us their eyes require a short amount of time to adjust from darkness to 65w CF over a 20gallon tank! I think the higher lighting level probably should have a slower acclimation time. The stock NO lights that are sold with tanks probably won't bother the fish coming on, but HO and CF over 2-3wpg are probably pretty shocking!

And sounds are VERY noticeable to the fish. My desk is about 6' from the tank and anytime I happen to do anything slightly jarring (most noticeable with quick concussion noises such as dropping an object, bumping the desk, etc, and ALL of the fish will jump in the tank an inch or 2. I've seen this all the time, the worst is definitely if I accidentally drop the glass top when trying to feed. They really jump from that.

I agree with most here... I think that the instant shock of light spooks them more so than sound.... I have my tank set up so that some cheap compact florescents go on 15 min before my mh go on. These compact florescents take a bit to get bright and gradually allow light to come into the tank. Not sure if this is overkill but I thought I would try to give it shot and never did bother changing it ever since.

Back
Top Bottom