Divided Betta Project (Progress Pics + Advice Welcome)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have one divider atm with my betta separated there, I am going to buy some fake plants for them tomorrow.

I am trying to decide what I should do about the fish food and debri on the bottom of the tank. I'd love to get an oto or some other small cleaner fish but I dn't know?

This really makes me want to just divide the tank in 2 so I have more options for snails, cleaner fish, a frog or something?

What are using for dividers, what are your plans for decor? I would suggest getting a gravel vac first(aqueon's is pretty good) and see how that will affect the placement of items in your tank.

You shouldn't have any leftover food in the betta tank, but you will need to get rid of the debris and poo, and just one of those cheap Walmart vacuums will work, or the Aqueon will too. :)

That has the potential to be really awesome looking. I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but do you have to cycle a betta tank? I'm thinking about starting my own, maybe in a 5 gal, or a 10 gal with bottom feeders.

That has the potential to be really awesome looking. I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but do you have to cycle a betta tank? I'm thinking about starting my own, maybe in a 5 gal, or a 10 gal with bottom feeders.

Yes. You always want to cycle a tank, preferably before putting fish in it. Fish can get too stressed to use for cycling, not to mention ammonia is highly toxic. Anything above .25 will start having effects on them.

Yes. You always want to cycle a tank, preferably before putting fish in it. Fish can get too stressed to use for cycling, not to mention ammonia is highly toxic. Anything above .25 will start having effects on them.

+1. IMO it is ideal to cycle any tank, just out of respect for the fish. Some choose to do it with fish but that is your choice. I think your fish will be a lot happier and last a lot longer if placed in a cycled tank. :) :invasion:

Yeah filters do the exact same thing. Doesn't mean there isn't a range of quality on filters.

Filters are a totally different animal. Do you just like to argue with people? A gravel vacuum with Brand A on it does the same thing...the same way as a gravel vacuum with Brand B on it. However...there are many differences in different brands of filters.

Thank you. I thought that was the case. I prefer the method of cycling before fish. But then there's also differing opinions when it comes to tiny tanks and the fish that go in them.

Filters are a totally different animal. Do you just like to argue with people? A gravel vacuum with Brand A on it does the same thing...the same way as a gravel vacuum with Brand B on it. However...there are many differences in different brands of filters.

I do like to argue with people, and it appears you do as well. And filters totally apply in this situation. A and B do the same thing, but A may filter better than B. I used both and the Aqueon definitely has better features and is made of a better quality than the Python.

Thank you. I thought that was the case. I prefer the method of cycling before fish. But then there's also differing opinions when it comes to tiny tanks and the fish that go in them.

Welcome.

I use a relatively easy method for cycling.

A bottle of Nutrafin Cycle or Seachem Stability, a few dead feeders or raw shrimp, a piece of clean pantyhose. Tie the feeders/shrimp in the pantyhose piece, bury it in the gravel/sand/substrate of choice, add Cycle or Stability, let the cycling begin :)

Believe it or not, I got our 120g cycled and what I felt was safe and ready for stocking in under 3 weeks. Of course, I added stock slowly and monitored water parameters daily. My fiance would check them every hour while I was at work, and he was ready to do a water change if needed :)
Cycling a tank, fun for the whole family *lol*

Back
Top Bottom