DIY caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skeeter84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone every built any caves / "mountains". I am going to build a structure, about 20" high and about 9" x 9" base, with a few caves, not too deep into the structure. Over the weekend, i bought 2 bags of river rock and a tube of aquarium epoxy, and attempted this. Long story short, it was a nightmare. I was thinking about trying it next with black lava rock and silicon? Anyone ever done anything like this and have a pointers / suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I haven't done anything like this but I have been toying with the idea. I would use the same method one would use to make a foam background.

1. Shape the foam 2. paint it with a latex 3. then add a coat of epoxy (Parks Super Glaze) 4. while the epoxy is still drying sprinkle on sand for texture 5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 till you have a look you like 6. attach structure to tank with silicone 7. enjoy

I tried making a cool cave thing with pwc pipes and hot glue with silicone, just hot glue, and just silicone. It epicly failed for me. The rocks just wouldn't stick. It would of been an awesomes structure, just couldn't get it.

I did the coconut cave which worked out great, it looks really cool when you put java moss on it aswell. It seems like you want a rocky structure though for some kind of cichlid setup maybe? I don't know but yeah you could prob. try the lava rock and silicon. I know people silicone live rock for sw aquariums and stack them, so it should rock just the same.

Thanks for the pointers. Ill look into the foam. Do you know what kind of foam is safe, and where I would get it?

Yeah the structure is for cichlids. I wanted to use river rock for the looks, then fill the crevaces with gravel for texture........ FAIL! Very hard to get round smooth stones to stick together with putty, when nothing is supending them (cave roofs). Might have worked if I had patience and worked on it in layers.

There are many more out there. I saw on one site a guy made a foam background to resemble tree roots. It was pretty cool. I am going to attempt something like that one of these days.

you can use the blue or pink foam you get from a lumber yard. It is sold in sheets.
you are sure this is alright to use in an aquarium?...

I made a cave out of a 2" ABS elbow. covered it with small rocks that i boiled and used aquarium glue. I did it in stages using the secure rocks to hold the one's i was putting on - day by day. I like it although only one of my apollo sharks goes in it.

btw if you are successfull with your 20" cave/mountain please msg me. or w.e

Most people in the saltwater industry are now using 'Great Stuff' foam and has not shown any side effects towards livestock. It can be purchased at most hardware stores, Walmarts, etc.

Most people in the saltwater industry are now using 'Great Stuff' foam and has not shown any side effects towards livestock. It can be purchased at most hardware stores, Walmarts, etc.

are you talking "great stuff" expandng foam, like in a can that comes out of a nozzle? (thats the only "great stuff" foam product i know of).

if this is correct what are the procedures in using it? I.e empty the can on a peice of wood or plastic, let it cure and sculpt? orrrrr

Back
Top Bottom