Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mumrah
DIY DI water?

Well, just as i was about to give in and start buying RO/DI water from a lfs, i had a thought. All of the articles i've read on lowering the ph of tapwater suggest getting a water purifying unit, or one of those fancy RO units. "Too bad i dont have a fridge with a water thingy.. oh well"

Wait! i forgot i had one of those britta water pitchers. So, just as a little test, i brewed up some britta water, and tested the ph.

Tap: ~7.6
Britta: ~6.2 !!!

Man was i supprised. And this filter had been used a lot, longer than is recommended. Tonight i'm going to pick up a test kit for hardness and such to check those as well. But i sure am pleased. I started filling up 2.5g containers right away.

I'll post the rest of the parameters once i get the test kits.
-David

55g:
5 clown loaches
1 common pleco
1 veiled angel
5 glofish

Tap Water: ph 7.5, 9 dkh, 11 dgh
mumrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

It may be a long way to do a 25% water change on a 55g with Brita pitcher. I've heard some people add peat pellets to their filters which supposingly do a nice job on PH. I've never used them ...

Old 06-17-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i put some peat in one of those filter bags, and it hasnt made a noticable difference.. just a mess

55g:
5 clown loaches
1 common pleco
1 veiled angel
5 glofish

Old 06-17-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I sad I've never used them, nor I'm in favor of tampering with Ph. But for the sake of curiosity, can you describe "mess"? It may help someone ...
Old 06-17-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, the peat i got came in a compressed brick. You soak it in water and it exands a lot. It is not very cohesive, so if given the chance, it will just scatter away. Even in the filter bag (very fine mesh) if you squeeze it, paricles will come out. If there's some better way to implement peat, i'd sure like to know, but i've not had great success.

55g:
5 clown loaches
1 common pleco
1 veiled angel
5 glofish

Old 06-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

What I meant was acctualy this:

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...01014650010101
Old 06-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Brita filters are just a carbon block filter.. Im unsure how it dropped the ph.. most likely CO2.. but let it set overnight possibly stick a airstone in it and test it again.. I am assuming the PH will come right back up.. the minerals in the water will still be there to buffer the PH back up..
The fancy RO units are only 65 bucks on e-bay by the way..great output as well 100gpd
Old 06-17-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman
Before I got my RO unit, I read almost everything there was to lowering PH. Brita and Pur filters were one of them. Greenmagi as right in the fact that those filters do not remove the hardness of the water and the ph should bounce back over time to what it should be. I think that somehow the price of RO units have gotten a bad rap. They are cheaper that almost every canister filter out there, yet no one suggests that they are expensive or fancy, just a needed piece of equipment. I think that the water is just as important. I would venture to say that most people, in their zeal to lower the ph of their water spend a lot more on various chemicals and setups to lower their water than they would actually spend on an RO unit.

For what it is worth, I spent $130 on a 4-stage RO unit that puts out 150 gpd and it is portable for those who live in apartments or rent. You can get some units a lot cheaper on ebay as had been mentioned earlier.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

VOTE NOW FOR AQUARIUM ADVICE!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

What is wrong with pH 7.6? That is what comes out of my tap and I have been successfully keeping fish for years and years. If it ain't broke....
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
What is wrong with pH 7.6? That is what comes out of my tap and I have been successfully keeping fish for years and years. If it ain't broke....
Agreed!

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com