DIY Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, so today I'm going to go out and search for some nice sun dried hardwood branches and such to make DIY driftwood. Has anyone ever done so? What is the best type of wood I should get? I live in NC so our hard wood pretty much consist of different types of oak. I didn't know if each species of oak had different densities or not. Thoughts?

there's not much you need to do, just soak it in water for a week cuz the wood leeches off tannins which will make your water look like tea lol soaking it will get rid of it, i think boiling it will make the process quicker...not sure...btw tannins isn't bad for your fishies =w=

image-3677591345.jpg

Score one for the driftwood hunt!! Now time to soak them.

The longest one is about 2.5 feet. I'm going to cut them if I need to later down the road :)

Should I add salt to the water to kill whatever may be living in it?

you need to use aquarium salt, not just any salt, and be sure to remove all rotting pieces and the outer bark of the tree, you dont want it falling apart in your tank o-o

JokerWx13 said:
you need to use aquarium salt, not just any salt, and be sure to remove all rotting pieces and the outer bark of the tree, you dont want it falling apart in your tank o-o

Okay cool deal!

Oh it's pretty much free :p I didn't even think about making my own until last night. For months I was trying to figure out how am I going to pay for DW because it's so expensive but it's like a light turned on last night for me. Why haven't I thought of this earlier hahaha

o btw make sure none of the wood you got are from pines or any wood that has sap like maple or pinewood, that kind of sap is poisonous to fish

Back
Top Bottom