DIY Filtration System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icydeath

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, normally I try to get one tank and set that up and I know a lot of us here have fish that don't get along, but have similar water param requirements.

This got me thinking, what if I wanted to have a betta and a trio of sparkling gourami's but didn't want to spend money on two tanks and on two filters and two of everything?

Well, my solution to this problem is this. You get a 20 gallon long for example and get two foam pads that are at like 30ppi. Like the one you can use for a wall filter. So you have these two sponges that are 12x12x1. So you put them in the middle of the tank to divide it. Then you have a space of 1 or 2 inches between them and then use a powerhead in between the sponges and use a pvc pipe to divert the flow between both sides. This way it pulls water through the sponge walls, and pushes it through a pvc t to divert the flow evenly between both tanks. Then you can use like a piece that has holes drilled into it so you can angle the flow.

Sound good? Here is a little picture. :) Double Tank.jpg

This is just one idea of many, I am still thinking of some others. Just wanted to share this one.

how will you mount the foam ?
you could also just put a piece of egg crate in the middle of the tank and use 1 filter for the whole tank

It would work just fine. I would personally use 4 pieces of egg crate to sandwich the foam and make your own filter cartridges.

I figured that if you cut the foam larger it would squeeze in alright..

Yeah that is probably a better idea. Just spitballing. :)

Also, about your Anubius... Mine are pretty small. I'll also have to ask my mom as I'm a minor but let me see what I can do lol

How would this mailing thing work? I lost your original thread so if you send it to me I can respond on that.

Back
Top Bottom