DIY Fish Food Recipe ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone have a homemade fish food recipe?
I have a freshwater tropical tank, with small fish and a couple of gouramis

Thanks !

THERE ARE A LOT ON U tube but it may not pay to make them for a few small fish
you can buy good fish food cheap a Kens fish

Food & Feeders
he has Ken's Tropical Green Granule 1 mm that are great for barbs and live breeders and other fish that like veggies $3.25 for 1/2 lb , shipping is for priority mail so order a few different foods , and freeze the extra

I decided to make my own food for kicks and giggles.

9 large shrimp on sale $2.50
6 whole small fish ( size of large sardines) $1.25
Raw Kale $.99
Paprika $.99
dried seaweed $3.29
8 pax knox gelatin (2 boxes ) $3.50

Total cost $9.25 with seaweed and paprika left over
Ground up:

De-headed shrimp and ground up with shell on ( calcium )
ground up whole small fish
2 tblspns paprika
1 cup kale tips ( no stalk material )
1 cup re-hydrated seaweed ( soaked in hot water for 10 minutes)
3 multi-vitamins

It made 9.5 cups of pure stink.

boiled and added knox gelatin.
Poured into roasting pan and set in fridge for 3 hours.
Cut into small squares and stacked in gallon freezer bags.

I have about 75 quarter sized pieces.
Fish love it, and it works quite well.

the only problem is that it falls apart into a near powdery pile at the bottom of the tank. It gets eaten and what's left over is eaten by cory's, snails and plecos.

I don't know how to have it bind together better...

Grind it less in prep?

Worth a shot tho.

The best price i found at petco was $8.00 for 30 nickel sized cubes.

Saved money, but it took about an hour or so.

Not to mention, my house smelled like Deadliest Catch for a couple of hours......

The closest I get to making my own fish food is freezing my own brine shrimp. For flake I've been dealing with haquatics.com. Kensfish has good stuff but his shipping is pretty darn high.

The closest I get to making my own fish food is freezing my own brine shrimp. For flake I've been dealing with haquatics.com. Kensfish has good stuff but his shipping is pretty darn high.

I like Kens also, but the shipping prevented me from buying. Free shipping with $75. I cannot imagine buying $75.00 worth of fish food. It would last me years.

I should start farming brine shrimp. Are they hard to grow?

I will check out haquatics.com. At first glance looks great.

I like Kens also, but the shipping prevented me from buying. Free shipping with $75. I cannot imagine buying $75.00 worth of fish food. It would last me years.

I should start farming brine shrimp. Are they hard to grow?

I will check out haquatics.com. At first glance looks great.

With the brine shrimp I buy eggs, hatch them out then freeze them in a small amount of water in ice cube trays. Makes feeding super easy. I also feed my fry decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.

so far I'm very impressed with haquatics. I bought a small sample pack and figured out what my fish like. Shipping was quick and the quality seems good. I've bought "gourmet" food from others and they gave my angelfish terrible bloat due to the fillers in the food. not having that problem with this guys food.

It seems krill and salmon are the best base for a DIY recipe. If I had more time on my hands I'd do a mix of that with brine shrimp, spirinula and egg

Back
Top Bottom