DIY Moonlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bud

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone done anything really cool for moonlight on their tank? I'd like to try something. Problem is (or I see it as a possible logistic problem) I still don't have a lid on my tank. I kind of like it open.

I'll have to sort through like 1000 subscribed threads...but there was one guy / lady who used a clip on LED light and it looked awesome. It didn't illuminate the entire tank...but it gave this awesome effect like moonlight shining through the clouds or plants down to the bottom. I'll see if I can find the thread in a bit...my girls gonna hide my iPad if I don't hop off the site for a bit, hahaha

Has anyone done anything really cool for moonlight on their tank? I'd like to try something. Problem is (or I see it as a possible logistic problem) I still don't have a lid on my tank. I kind of like it open.

I saw this one guy on you-tube who did a "ghetto moonlight" as the guy described it. It was just blue colored paper (like copy paper) laminated and then he stuck it under his florescent fixture! Maybe you can clip it or tape it to your fixture?

See the link below
YouTube - ‪DIY Aquarium Moonlight under $15.‬‏.

I'm looking to do it for my tank!

Thanks, Eco. I searched and got tired of going through links, so I thought I'd ask. Clip on LED sounds like it would work great.

That video was indeed ghetto. lol

I want something a bit nicer that I can put on and see the fish without causing algae problems, and for when I want it darker in the LR at night.

That video was indeed ghetto. lol

Yep ... that was as ghetto as it gets:brows: ... but I do have to admit, it gave the tank a decent looking dark blue hue. I'm going to give it a try ... why not for $15 ... I could probably get plenty of blue paper from the art teacher.
I'll just slip it under at 10pm and set the timer on my light to go off around 1am .. give the fish a few hours of blue moonlight.;)

Thank you! Just what I was looking for. Maybe a little longer and a different color, but something like that for lights out would rock. Glad to see your iPad didn't get put in time out. :)

Bud said:
Thank you! Just what I was looking for. Maybe a little longer and a different color, but something like that for lights out would rock. Glad to see your iPad didn't get put in time out. :)

I thought it was neat too. Definitely a different option than what most people do. Luckily my girl goes to sleep early so I can get my iPad back out of detention, lol.

I've heard you can't use black lights for aquariums...I don't know why...but I've definitely heard it.

Your tank looks good btw.

I've heard you can't use black lights for aquariums...I don't know why...but I've definitely heard it.

Your tank looks good btw.

I believe I have heard that as well about the black light. Something to do with the spectrum causing serious algae problems. Not sure exactly but the bulb I am using is definitely not black light. The best part was it was only 4 dollars...lol

Oh and if that was to me about my tank thanks... I still have a long way to go.

Back
Top Bottom