DIY water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grand1011

Aquarium Advice Activist
My plan is to create a water changer with a bucket raised a few feet above the tank on a shelf and drill a hole through the bottom of the bucket and shelf. Then place a siphon hose through tr bottom and fit a cut off valve on the hose. Then I can use a garden hose to fill the bucket, treat the water, and open the valve to let the water in. Seems simple enough but the Bucket will be 5 gallons and with water in it will weigh around 40 lbs. I need some opinion on how to fix a sturdy shelf to a wall or maybe a very tall standing shelf. I know i can just pour the water in manually but I like small projects like this So let me know what your opinion is on this setup.

My plan is to create a water changer with a bucket raised a few feet above the tank on a shelf and drill a hole through the bottom of the bucket and shelf. Then place a siphon hose through tr bottom and fit a cut off valve on the hose. Then I can use a garden hose to fill the bucket, treat the water, and open the valve to let the water in. Seems simple enough but the Bucket will be 5 gallons and with water in it will weigh around 40 lbs. I need some opinion on how to fix a sturdy shelf to a wall or maybe a very tall standing shelf. I know i can just pour the water in manually but I like small projects like this So let me know what your opinion is on this setup.
HI, i'm a bit puzzled!!. Can i ask why you are considering doing this???. It seems like a LOT of hassle for what benefit????

Well when I change the water, everything gets stirred up... Plants, gravel, waste. And it's a very large tank to constantly be lugging around a heavy bucket and slowly pouring in. I could just use the hose directly into the tank but their is tons of chlorine in the water... Like almost disgusting to drink from so using a hose may cause some death to beneficial bacteria and I dont want that. It's also just a small project that I wouldn't mind doing for fun.

Well when I change the water, everything gets stirred up... Plants, gravel, waste. And it's a very large tank to constantly be lugging around a heavy bucket and slowly pouring in. I could just use the hose directly into the tank but their is tons of chlorine in the water... Like almost disgusting to drink from so using a hose may cause some death to beneficial bacteria and I dont want that. It's also just a small project that I wouldn't mind doing for fun.
There is a way around your chlorine issue. You could, budget allowing, invest in a water changer, Aqueon or Python. If not, you could always build a DIY version. Get a garden hose, or use your current one. Buy the appropriate connections for your faucet, connect the hose to the siphon. When you want to empty the water from the tank, use the siphon and put the other end of the hose in your bath/sink or out the window. Drain whatever amount you want to remove. Now connect that end to the faucet, dose the WHOLE volume of the tank with dechlorinater and fill with the siphon end. This will stop you having all the extra equipment and a big shelve/stand beside your tank....
A cheaper and easier alternative. I have researched this recently and plan to build one very soon. Nice little project!!!!

Well I had a shelf already up that I use for a tv and this worked great. All set up and running well.

Attachments

• image-800296279.jpg
    image-800296279.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 58
Well I had a shelf already up that I use for a tv and this worked great. All set up and running well.
I would be very cautious with that set-up. 5g weighs 41pounds. That shelf might not hold that much or if it does, over time it could collapse. The weight of the bucket is in all the one area, not spread over the whole shelf. In the picture, you seem to have a lot of electrical wires below the bucket. I would seriously re-consider your plan. You could end up dead if water hits that or burn your house down. I know it seems extreme, but why risk it.
You say your doing this because pouring it in stirs everything up in the tank, well, the stuff that's being stirred up is never going to leave the tank if you don't vac it out. I would stir up the tank first and then do a 80% water change. This will clear all/most of the junk. By not removing it, it's just gonna build up and cause problems. If your stirring up so much stuff when refilling, put a bowl in the tank and pour into the bowl, this will stop the turbulence.
You can just fill the tank directly, declor the ENTIRE volume of the tank BEFORE you add the water and then just use the hose to fill directly to the tank.
I understand why you want to make things easier, we all do but you and your families safety should be priority...
If you think i'm exaggerating, PM Convict, he's a fire chief. I'm sure he'd agree

I agree with Ian. Having a 5 gallon bucket precariously propped on shelf that already has a TV on it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Python hoses are made for water changes - they are easy to use to either extract or fill water in the tank. Just add dechlorinator in the tank before filling.

To avoid the dust clouds when filling, lower your water pressure in your hose.

Back
Top Bottom