Do all plants remove nitrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to get a Water Sprite. I don't have much luck with plants and read that this is easy and does well even floating. Am limited to what I can purchase due to where I live. Am also considering a moss ball. Could use some suggestions! Thanks a head of time!!:popcorn:

Faster growing plants use up nitrate faster than slower growing plants. Anacharis, wisteria, and water sprite are up in the top 3 IMO. They're also all fairly low light plants.

Water sprite and wisteria are pretty common plants to find at LFS's and places like Pet Smart and PetCo. I've never messed with moss balls so I'm no help there but as mentioned above all plants will use nitrates so anything you add is better than nothing. First see what is available to you, make a list of names, and come home and reseach them. The reason I am saying to reseach them first is because many stores carry and sell plants that are not true aquatics. Plants in tubes like Pet Smart carries are notorious for not being true aquatics. They will live for a short time in an aquarium but will with time die. So write down names, research, then go back and get any that would work for your tank that are true aquatic plants.

Back
Top Bottom