Do bettas like air stones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitzo77

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently put an airstone in my betta's 5 gal tank and occasionally see him swimming through the bubbles alot on purpose.
Is this because he needs more air or is he just doing this for fun?

I have one in my betta's tank that I can regulate with an inline valve. My betta loves it. Occasionally the flow will decrease and he looks pissed off, then I realize the bubbles have decreased or stopped. Soon as I adjust the flow he's happy again, likes to swim near and thru the bubbles. I think it's entertaining to the fish.

My Betta is grumpy and likes to flare at me all the time lol but he never flares at my friends or family.

That's funny. He must like you. They can have such different personalities. I'm amazed when people have their betta in a tank with other fish. My fish, Grady, would not go for that at all. I put a pond snail in his tank one time and he immediately proceeded to stalk it. When he had the poor thing cornered and had bit off one of its tentacles I decided it was time to rescue the snail. He's a one fish per tank type of guy.

Oh the poor snail! I tried to have an apple snail with Sherlock too, but he tried to bite it through the acclimating bag. I would like to have a community betta tank one day though probably not with Sherlock.

Bettas don't need airstones because they have a labyrinth organ that allows them to breath atmospheric air. But I am sure he will enjoy the airstone so he doesn't have to go the surface every 45 seconds

Mine still surfaces for air. I added the air stone a while back to help with water circulation for some BGA. Once the BGA was gone I removed it and he acted pouty so I reinstalled it. I'm convinced it's something he just likes having in his tank, probably keeps him from getting bored.

Didn't do an analysis before and after adding the air stone but you're probably right. I'm amazed how much he enjoys the bubbles since
betta's don't usually like too strong a water flow. The air stone bubbles are mild though compared to most filter flows.

I had to reduce the filter flow on my tank since it used to blow him around, but he really seems to enjoy swimming in the bubbles lol

I found that since betta dont like a lot of flow theres not much surface agitation from the filter so an air stone is essential.

Back
Top Bottom