Do cory cats and otto cats get along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
And if they do, I'd like to know the info on Otto cats :)

They certainly do.

Off the top of my head I would say the most important things about otos would be that they're very sensitive to poor water conditions and you should supplement their diet with the odd zucchini or such.

Will algae wafers be a good replacement for zucchini or should I just get the fresh zucchini? ^^

Good question, while I'm not entirely sure all I can say is that my cories happily gobble up algae wafers and leave the oto to eat the zuchinni which seems to keep them both happy.

Also fine, they often share the zucchini I put in the tank

That's great! Do they eat any forms if meat? And do the Ottos scavenge like cories do?

Oh and can you tell me how the breeding of ottos works? (I've successfully bred guppies, and so now I'm going to breed cories (I know it's hard) and BN plecos, and maybe mollies as well) I'm interested to know how ottos might breed, and how the mating works :)

That's great! Do they eat any forms if meat? And do the Ottos scavenge like cories do?

I believe Otos are entirely vegetarians and they scavenge algae of your tank walls, ornaments and plants.

Oh and can you tell me how the breeding of ottos works? (I've successfully bred guppies, and so now I'm going to breed cories (I know it's hard) and BN plecos, and maybe mollies as well) I'm interested to know how ottos might breed, and how the mating works :)

A - I can't tell you about how to breed ottos sorry
B - Breeding cories is incredibly easy and you'd probably find them doing it even if you didn't try to organise it. I have eggs every week or two but let them get eaten as not sure what I'd do with a hundred or so baby cories...as cute as that would be.

Yeah, besides, eggs can really be a good protien snack ;) if I do breed the cories, I'd probly jusg grab 10-15 eggs and leave the rest be. I'll post two more threads on the breeding of each fish, I'll be needing lots of specifics. Quick question though, if I get a 40g then is it safe to have two BN plecos in it? Or should I get a 50g? I'm aware that plecos have large bio loads and need more pwcs, I'm asking just to make sure I don't have any stunted growth (I was told they have a 30g minimum, but I don't know if I should believe it)

BN Plecos only grow quite small so I would say you'd be safe to have two BNs in a 40G. On the condition you get a M/F I wouldn't perceive any problems, two males could have issues over territory.

Oh that's great news! With only two in a 40g, how strong do you think the bio load will be? And how many pwcs a week do you think would make up for the (possibly) heavy bio load?

Oh and one more thing on Otto cats, are there any kinds of fish they don't get along with?

Anything that can eat them.

As for your water change comment it depends on what exactly your stock will be, just the two bristle?

I have Otos with dwarf Cories. Corydoras habrosus. They sorta look a like and seem to love each other. My 2 Otos school with my 5 Cories. Not all the time but they are often together.

They share food fine. I feed Cories sinking shrimp pellets, frozen BBS and bloodworms.

My Otos eat Shrimp food (RCS/CRS), fresh greens, Spinach and Romaine as well as Omega One Algae wafers

The tank also gets a wide variety of food. Rapashy Gel Foods are a favorite of all.

Planet Catfish has members who breed Otos. They aren't impossible. But it's not super easy.

I have a club member who breeds Cories. My habrosus are thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom