Do Cory Cats Blow Bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BubblesBW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm fairly new to the world of fishkeeping, especially cory cats since growing up I only ever had betta or goldfish. So I'm just looking for more information.

Well now I have two albino cory cats in a 10 gal tank (I plan on getting a couple more). Originally I had my betta in the tank with them but she got sick and is currently in a quarantine tank. There were always bubbles built up on the water surface and I assumed they were the doing of my betta. But I've removed her from the 10 gal and have done a full cleaning of it and the bubbles are back. They are even stuck to the underside of a couple (fake) plant leaves under the water.

Do corys blow or release bubbles that do this? I'm assuming they aren't the sign of anything harmful since they are just bubbles. Thanks in advance!

Most Cory cats occassionally swim up to the surface and gulp air. Thats likely the cause of your bubble mystery. No worries.

Most Cory cats occassionally swim up to the surface and gulp air. Thats likely the cause of your bubble mystery. No worries.
I figured it had to be something like that. Thanks so much!

All corydoras go to the surface of the water from time to time to gulp air which then goes into their intestines and provides needed oxygen.

All corydoras go to the surface of the water from time to time to gulp air which then goes into their intestines and provides needed oxygen.
Ah, sorry I never responded. [emoji51] Thanks for the info! Would a bubbler in the tank help them get more oxygen?

An airstone or bubble wand never hurts, but your Cory cats will still swim to the surface and gulp air regardless.

Back
Top Bottom