Do corys really NEED a school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a single C. axelrodi that came into the store by accident with a shipment. Never saw another for sale at any LFS.

At the time I only had one small planted tank, but he was starving and ignored at the store. I got him for free and had him for 2 years. He passed the day before I was going to upgrade him to a bigger tank and mail order some friends.

Now I have 5 C. habrosus in my 10g heavily planted Shrimp Jungle. Love watching them play. They don't always school, but usually there are 2-3 hanging out together. They chase each other and bury their noses in the sand. I'll add more later.

I'm getting a trio of C. hastatus this weekend from a club member. I'll get more from him when I can ( he's a breeder).

I hope to set up a 20Long Cory tank someday. I'd like to try breeding mine.

Pics are in my profile.

I have two Peppered that stick together all the time, I've never had any more. They are super active in my tank both day and night. When they feel like some down time they hang out under the leaves of my plants. I do plan on getting a few more though. They are probably my favorite guys in my tank right now.

This is kind of a loaded question. IME cories don't really school, they do however appreciate the comfort of a group. I have 5 peppered and 4 Bronze cories (one of which is albino) and each group stays within sight of the others in their species. Do they have to be around each other at all time? no. Do they seem to interact and enjoy the company of the others? yes. Would I expect one to die if I took out the others? of course not. Some fish species are loners or grumps that need to be left alone, the corydora, however, appretiates-not needs-the comfort of a group.

I'll use dogs as an analogy...dogs are breed from wolves which are very social animals. Over generations dogs look and act less like wild wolves and more like pets. Many people keep single dogs without any trouble, however, if people are wiped off the Earth tomorrow and dogs are left to do as they please, they will form packs. Even dogs that lived as solo dogs all their lives and are big and strong enough to live on their own will join a pack. They are social beings and look for interactions with other dogs.

That's a wonderful analogy....never thought of it like that. I am loving this thread. :popcorn:

I have noticed a difference in my corys when they end up singular. My two peppered stick together 90% time and during the day huddle in a cave.
I was recently left with 1 panda after having 4 and he became quite reclusive although he did sometime chase my trilined however when I added my three newbie pandas today they have immediately schooled and okay around.
IMO you need a group to see more natural behaviour.
I do however think they are my favourite fish!!!

I have 3 peppered corys and I never see them together. They all swim around and do their own thing, rest separately etc (who knows what they are doing when I'm not watching).

I only got 3 because I like them, not to be beneficial to their social needs.

I have 3 julii corys. They swim together and they swim apart. They certainly are aware that there are other corys in the tank. I think at least 3 are more fun to watch, too. While you may be able to have one or 2 and they will live it is not recommended. Mine only hide when they are startled. When I clean the tank they huddle together for comfort in a tight little group. Most of the waking hours they are uber-active and extremely entertaining. They don't just stay on the bottom, but swim up and down any decor as well as the tank sides at times. They spend a lot of time on my plastic plants.

I have 2 corys left from a nice school of them (bad stock) and they love eachother so much. Never leave eachothers side but are still roaming around the tank freely. So NO i dont think so

fishyperson3010 said:
Will different species of Cory school together? and Does this apply to all types?

From what I've read, there is no way to know if they will school or not. Sometimes a loner Cory will hang out with a different Cory species, usually they won't.

I'm about to add a second species. I have 5 C habrosus and I'm getting 3 C hastatus as a gift. I doubt they will school.
I believe if they look alike that may help. My habrosus are colored just like my Otos and they seem to like each other.

I know this thread is a little old, but I looked it up when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my false julii cory, so I thought I'd post my experience.

When I got my cory, I didn't know that folks recommended they be in groups. A few days after placing him in my tank, he started acting strange. He'd swim up and down and back and forth right next to the edge of the tank. I worried that something was wrong with my water, but all of my parameters were fine. I worried he wasn't getting enough food, so I increased the wafers. Nothing helped. The frantic behavior was very disturbing to me. So I Googled, and discovered folks think they need to be in groups.

So Friday I put two more in the tank with him. He immediately stopped his frantic behavior, snuggled up right next to one of the new ones, "kissed" it all over, and started doing some kind of wiggle dance with his fins and tail. They haven't left each other's sides and swim together all over the tank. The third one doesn't seem to be that close to them, but I think he's having some problems and might die. He gets listless, floats around straight up, and this morning, I found him upside down next to the top of the tank. I thought he was a goner. Today, though, I saw all three of them swimming around together in the tank. They remind of little puppies or kittens or something. I hope he makes it.

My original cory hasn't gone back to his old behavior since. So I'm definitely in the camp that corys need to be in groups.

The swimming up and down and side to side is normal my corys all do it, sometimes its synchronised!!
As for the 'shimmy' dance you maybe lucky and have a boy and girl combo there that's what mine do before egg laying it's quite fun to watch!

When I started my aquarium, I had 3 panda corys, through some illness 2 of the 3 died and I could see she was going in serious decline since she barely ate and barely wanted to move about, few days later i got replacements...she then looked as if she got a new lease of life and been happy ever since.

The swimming up and down and side to side is normal my corys all do it, sometimes its synchronised!!
As for the 'shimmy' dance you maybe lucky and have a boy and girl combo there that's what mine do before egg laying it's quite fun to watch!

It definitely looked like some kind of mating behavior. And now they won't leave each other's sides.

debisbooked said:
I have four Swartz' corys (down from a group of six) that used to scamper around freely when the other two were alive. Two died separately several months ago and since then these four stick together like glue and never come out from their hiding place anymore. The tank mates are one aged bolivian ram, eight neons, and eight skirt tetras in a 75g. I'm assuming the corys need more of their own kind to feel safe though none of the other fish bother them at all. I do a weekly water change and have to move the driftwood they hide under to count them and check for sickness (none visible). I will be buying more plants in hopes that this will help them feel safer. So, my experience tells me that the need for six or more to feel safe is still inbred. :)

I have 5 sterbai cories. Started with three and thought they needed more so go two more. They still act the same way except for they come out more so I'd say they feel secure

Back
Top Bottom