Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do dwarf gouramis like being kept in pairs?

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with one dwarf gourami and 8 neon tetras. Should I get a buddy for my gourami? Does it have to the same kind of dwarf gourami or can I get a different kind? Also how do I tell if they are male or female I'd like to get an actually pair.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe they are fine being kept singly. Much like bettas.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dwarf gourami's are usually kept in all male and all female tanks at the LFS. They appear peaceful most of the times because the aggression is spread and possibly because they are juveniles. But dwarf gouramis like most other gouramis are quite territorial. If you are sold 2 male dwarf gouramis they will most like chase each other until the boss is established. From then on it will just result in constant bullying. Some people have kept 2 makes successfully but this is extremely unlikely to happen in a 10 gallon tank. In fact I personally wouldn't keep one in a 10 gallon. If you do decide to get a dwarf gourami just get the one or you will end up having to take one back anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks for the advice. I did already purchase one gourami he seems happy in his planted tank so I hope he doesn't get stressed from being in to small a tank. I was told be my lfs owners who have been in the business 50+ years that he would be fine and the research I did said that a DG should be fine in a 10 gallon...
Old 07-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

He will be okay.

Best of luck, - Raymond

Tags
air, dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami, gouramis, pair, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com