Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes, I do believe you have a gorgeous young male.

Young males can have egg spots. I have a baby male with an egg spot. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	304977Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	304978

Old 11-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
Ichthyophile

One clarification. The white spot/bump you see on the ventral side of a mature female betta is not an egg. It is the egg-laying structure called an ovipositor. Eggs come out of that when spawning occurs.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
One of the best ways to check gender of Betta splendens is to look at the vent of the fish. Sexually mature females will show a white dot at the vent. That is an egg. Males will not have that.
There are times when a female will assist a male in building or repairing a nest but to date, I have not seen a female alone make a nest that she stays under in hopes of a male coming by. That is a male's procedure. From the picture and your description of the fins becoming more flowing, it looks like you had a juvenile male that is coming into maturity. Check the vent to confirm.
Darn computer just types and erases what it wants. The word was supposed to be "egg spot". Sexually mature males will not have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahm View Post
Yes, I do believe you have a gorgeous young male.

Young males can have egg spots. I have a baby male with an egg spot. Attachment 304977Attachment 304978
Yes, immature males may have an "egg spot" but once sexually mature, they usually don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
One clarification. The white spot/bump you see on the ventral side of a mature female betta is not an egg. It is the egg-laying structure called an ovipositor. Eggs come out of that when spawning occurs.
This is correct. Good catch. My stupid computer erased the word "spot" after egg and I didn't catch it before hitting reply. :^s
Old 11-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta-Be-Good View Post
Yea! My upload worked! It wasn't obvious where the attachment icon was. Really teeny... Here's another picture of the betta in question...
Looks like a female everything on her is short. I know it's still a baby but males usually will have long tails and fins by this time. Think you got what you wanted. I don't know about females making bubble beds some probably might.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Ichthyophile

The white dot between the female's anal fins is not an egg, it is an ovipositor, the organ that deposits eggs during spawning.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #16

Quote:
One of the best ways to check gender of Betta splendens is to look at the vent of the fish. Sexually mature females will show a white dot at the vent. That is an egg. Males will not have that.
There are times when a female will assist a male in building or repairing a nest but to date, I have not seen a female alone make a nest that she stays under in hopes of a male coming by. That is a male's procedure. From the picture and your description of the fins becoming more flowing, it looks like you had a juvenile male that is coming into maturity. Check the vent to confirm.
Even with a magnifying glass, I'm having difficulty getting the correct angle to have a good look. Sometimes I think I see a little spot, but then I can't really tell. But man oh man, there is an enormous bubble nest brewing!
Old 11-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #17

You have a male. The fins are too long to be a baby female and his face isnít thin and pointed like a femaleís.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Might need to come up with a different name than Lady Thiang.... lol
Old 11-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellove78 View Post
Looks like a female everything on her is short. I know it's still a baby but males usually will have long tails and fins by this time. Think you got what you wanted. I don't know about females making bubble beds some probably might.
There is a variety of Bettas called "Plakat" which may not have longer finnage ( and are more like the original fighting fish.) so finnage alone can no longer sex a fish. You can read about the Plakats here Siamese cyberAquarium, Types of plakatthai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta-Be-Good View Post
Even with a magnifying glass, I'm having difficulty getting the correct angle to have a good look. Sometimes I think I see a little spot, but then I can't really tell. But man oh man, there is an enormous bubble nest brewing!
Just using behavior and nothing else then, the odds go way up that what you have is a male. Without dissection, introducing a known female and you getting fry will confirm this.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
There is a variety of Bettas called "Plakat" which may not have longer finnage ( and are more like the original fighting fish.) so finnage alone can no longer sex a fish. You can read about the Plakats here Siamese cyberAquarium, Types of plakatthai

Just using behavior and nothing else then, the odds go way up that what you have is a male. Without dissection, introducing a known female and you getting fry will confirm this.
Could be that kind. Time will tell.

Tags
betta, betta fish, bubble, bubble nest, female, female betta, fish, male, nest

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com