Do fish behave differently when the lights go out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a lot of weird occurrences happening lately and was just wondering if my so "cute and innocent" fish act different when the lights go out? Maybe act more aggressive or some sort? Anyone else think this may be true?

I've had a lot of weird occurrences happening lately and was just wondering if my so "cute and innocent" fish act different when the lights go out? Maybe act more aggressive or some sort? Anyone else think this may be true?

Could be. What kind of fish and what strange occurances?

Could be. What kind of fish and what strange occurances?

Well let's just say my 3-4 inch opaline gourami is missing! You can see my other thread for more details. No idea what happened to her :/

Some of my fish are more active when the lights go out. I have heard the water splash a lot at night like they are jumping. My mollies tend to sleep when the lights are out though. Just the guppies and neons seem more active. Oh and the shrimp. Could your Gourami have jumped out? I have heard of that happening and people finding a dried up fish behind their tank.

Some of my fish are more active when the lights go out. I have heard the water splash a lot at night like they are jumping. My mollies tend to sleep when the lights are out though. Just the guppies and neons seem more active. Oh and the shrimp. Could your Gourami have jumped out? I have heard of that happening and people finding a dried up fish behind their tank.

Nope. I looked and there is a lid. Only guess is it died and maybe the other fish ate it...

Funny, everyone says their fish are more active but mine all go paler, the neon tetras go almost white, and they all move in slow motion seeming to be asleep! It's pretty cute. They all also have spots they like to be in at night like my angel sleeps behind the heater and my hatchets rest in the floating plastic tree I have.
When the lights are on they are all so active and chase each other around

The other tank inhabitants could have eaten it. I had a guppy disappear like that. Never did find it. Neon tetras do loose their color when they are resting. Mine get almost white. The tetras do not like bright lights and mine hide under the moss "trees" I have in the tank when the lights are one.

It depends on the species of fish. Most fish will sink towards the bottom and out of open water to avoid becoming prey. More nocturnal species will become obviously more active at night.

It depends on the species of fish. Most fish will sink towards the bottom and out of open water to avoid becoming prey. More nocturnal species will become obviously more active at night.

Exactly, if you have a pleco for instance odds are if you take a flashlight to the tank you'll find it out in the open on the glass. Most fish go into a "power save" mode I guess you could say. They lose some color, sink to the bottom as mentioned. I typically find my neons floating in the middle of the column though.

Yep they break out the booze the girls get knocked up and the boys get into fights. Its nothing but trouble after dark :)

Yep they break out the booze the girls get knocked up and the boys get into fights. Its nothing but trouble after dark :)

Lol except for those hoodlum guppies! They get knocked up any time day or night!

Back
Top Bottom