Do fish calm down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlstoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just put new fish in my tank that had 1 dwarf gourami and 7 glofish. I put in 6 neon tetras and 2 Bolivian rams. The dwarf gourami just took over the tank immediately and is chasing the rams around. Will this ever stop and they will get their own territories?

My rams are scared and just chillin in the corners. :/

What needs to be done is to remove the gourami while you totally rearrange the tank making sure the line of sight from one end of the tank to the other is broken up. Then readd the gourami. The reason for the chasing is due to the gourami having claimed the entire tank for his territory. By removing him and rearranging the tank then putting him back in it's now a new tank in which he has no territory yet. If you leave things the way they are your rams, especially being new, are being overly stressed on top of being in another tank and they could become sick.

+1 to rivercats.

DGs can be buttheads in general sometimes but this approach is a great one. After the removal and new arrangement of the tank he will be "new" so to speak. Make sure that you have enough coverage in the tank. Rocks, DW, plants, what have you.

I wouldn't leave it as is, Rams being more sensitive fish I would want to remove all stressed that I could as they are most likely feeling rather stressed as is with the move.

Thanks for the advice. How long should I leave the DG out of the tank? And what is DW? Lol

What if I don't have an extra tank to him in for that long??

What if I don't have an extra tank to him in for that long??

You may get a spawning box to keep him in the same fish tank separated from other fish. Or you may try to remove him, rearrange the tank and put him back

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to give this a try. Hopefully it works!!!

You only leave the DG out of the tank until it's done being rearranged. This is what you do with aggressive angels when trying to add fish into "thier" established tank.

River cat, this tank is 30x12..? Base. And I have that same base. Why can they but 2 rams and a dg but I can't put a ram, apisto, and a dg, wouldn't mine be less aggressive cuz no spawning?

On your thread when talking about that combination you were saying a 29g and wanting to add a ton of other fish. That is the difference. It's a matter of picking and choosing the right combination of fish. And without going back to that thread if I remember right you wanted a sword instead of a DG.

River Kat do you think the spawn box would work? Or should I just put him in a bucket for a while?

I know but I oragionally was into a dg, but you all said no, and when I said about upgrading to 37 you said its only taller so no fish would being it from it

River Kat do you think the spawn box would work? Or should I just put him in a bucket for a while?

I just use a bucket with tank water in it. It shouldn't take you too long to rearrange, then just add him back in and top the tank water off. It's really easy to do.

I know but I oragionally was into a dg, but you all said no, and when I said about upgrading to 37 you said its only taller so no fish would being it from it

You need to go back to your post and raise this concern and not hijack this one.

Back
Top Bottom