Do fish care if you use plastic plants (instead of real plants) ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I noticed a big difference when I put live plants in. The fish got excited, for lack of a better word. I believe the fish can tell.

LyndaB said:
I noticed a big difference when I put live plants in. The fish got excited, for lack of a better word. I believe the fish can tell.

I agree I think they can tell... I think that live plants are their 1st choice, silk plants (fake) are their second choice and plastic (fake) being their least favorite.

Fish relate to structure, and other than plant eaters, I don't think they care. I had severum try to eat some plastic plants, which were a fake Cambomba.

Dear Bubble BOy,
I think it depends on the fish...For instance telescope, black moors goldfish have delicate eyes and one must be careful of sharp edges which plastic plants often have. Real plants and silk are softer. Goldies like to nibble so many plants are just salad to them--which they like to eat as fast as possible. For me, Java moss lasted one night!
Chris

Dear Bubble BOy,
I think it depends on the fish...For instance telescope, black moors goldfish have delicate eyes and one must be careful of sharp edges which plastic plants often have. Real plants and silk are softer. Goldies like to nibble so many plants are just salad to them--which they like to eat as fast as possible. For me, Java moss lasted one night!
Chris

another good point.. it varies by the type of fish.. what is in the tank?

***they anachris in your tank with gold fish.. because of their waste and the fact its a stem plant... i found that it can keep up with the munching of goldfish :) **

I think the main reason for live plants in aesthetics and extra filtration.

I like plants mostly for filtration reasons, and even some algea here and there. The fish can totally tell, though. There arent bright neon pink sharp pointy leaves in nature that you cant eat.

I like plants mostly for filtration reasons, and even some algea here and there. The fish can totally tell, though. There arent bright neon pink sharp pointy leaves in nature that you cant eat.
lol true. I dont think most fish (there probably are some) care one way or the other. Like I dont think it will effect them health wise.

It will, though. Plants can help keep a tank at safe levels more accuratly. They can also help pull excess nutrients from the water. Also can produce food for shrimps, and lots of smaller fish that eat algae off the live plant... basically, live plants means less maintinence, less wc's, happier fish, and a prettier tank... idk imho its more than just asthetics at stake here

I agree that a tank receives all those benefits from live plants as well as providind security .. but having plants isn't a free card to skip water changes. or do them less often

Noone ever said anything about skipping them altogether. Its more like, normally do a weekly pwc, if its heavily planted with nitrite sucking plants, you could wait a day. Or two and be just fine.

Live plants are better , but some plants will strip the plan to the bottom of its stem. Also they can decay and you can get a high rise of Ammonia and Nitrate. Fish prefer live plant's and will hide less and will have more oxygen.

So all in live plant's are better.

I know a tank can. Sure pants can die and decal, but properly planted your merley introuducing some extra nutrients for plants and inverts to snack on...

Back
Top Bottom