Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile Do fish recognize strangers?

I've noticed something interesting that happens in front of my 125 freshwater tank. It has mostly tiger barbs, a few gold barbs and some platys. When I'm around or my husband walks by, the tiger barbs follow him from one end of the tank to the other hoping for a meal. When my mom or strangers stand in front of the tank, all the fish hide as far back under the plants as the tank allows. Not even the cat walking on top of the tank, which is strongly discouraged, gets as much reaction as strange people do. So do fish recognize individuals?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

yes, fish can recognize shapes and patterns to a certain extent.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Mine certainly recognize me as the food source. No one but me feeds them and when I go to the tank they all rush up. Anyone else and they just keep doing whatever they were doing.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Sahabo Send a message via Yahoo to Sahabo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz View Post
Mine certainly recognize me as the food source. No one but me feeds them and when I go to the tank they all rush up. Anyone else and they just keep doing whatever they were doing.
My betta behaves the same way. He basically ignores my husband, but when I'm there he displays, zips back and forth in front of me, and seems to follow my movements.
Sahabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
My fish don't seem to care, but my turtle certainly recognizes people. My girlfriend has taken a liking to him, and she's usually the one that feeds him. Every time she comes into the room, he freeks out and starts rushing around the tank and making all kinds of noise. He never does this for me. haha
Old 05-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

My fish do the same thing. They know me as I am the only one who feeds, they hide from or ignore the other family members. But me, they will follow all around.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

my tank is set at 10 cm left from where i stand when i work at the computer,

from time to time when i work, i take 2-5 mins break to watch them and play with them (yes u read good)

i play with them ;PPP
they come and "kiss" my fingers, and 2 of the black molly females actually rub themselves against the tip of my fingers.

when my wife does that, they hide as far possible in the plants.

furthermore, when a foreigner is in the house, you barely see fish in the tank even thou i have only 4 small plants in the tank.

answer to your question, i think that fish recognize to a certain degree their master/masters (will research more into it)
Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had an Oscar that would try to attack anyone he didn't recognize when they got too close to his tank. He also enjoyed being "petted" by anyone he did know.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I know my SW fish recognize me as they all dart to the glass when I walk by. I think it is the food association, they know I feed them.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
Mine used to come to the glass when I came near. Since my wife and I started alternating feeding they only do it when we pick up the food can now. Otherwise we're pretty much ignored.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com