Do Fish "Sleep"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fantail goldies seem to, each evening, retreat to a private spot towards the rear of the tank, behind some ornamental and plant cover, and appear to "rest" by "floating" a centimeter or so off the surface of the gravel, most of the time facing the wall towards the back of the tank...I don't think this indicates any kind of concern, because they are definitely not stressed in any way...their breathing remains calm, and my water quality is good, but they do go back there, taking turns, to kind of "rest" and then they eventually swim back around the tank and to the front glass again...

Is this a sign of "sleeping"? Do they actually sleep, or is it just a form of actual rest?

On days when I get up really early I turn on my tank's light to see all of my fish "sleeping" low on the gravel. They're all low enough that their bellies nearly touch the gravel and they remain still. It is sort of creepy. But, every time I see this they're all up and excited within a few minutes, so it can't be bad.

My fantail goldies seem to, each evening, retreat to a private spot towards the rear of the tank, behind some ornamental and plant cover, and appear to "rest" by "floating" a centimeter or so off the surface of the gravel, most of the time facing the wall towards the back of the tank...I don't think this indicates any kind of concern, because they are definitely not stressed in any way...their breathing remains calm, and my water quality is good, but they do go back there, taking turns, to kind of "rest" and then they eventually swim back around the tank and to the front glass again...

Is this a sign of "sleeping"? Do they actually sleep, or is it just a form of actual rest?

They do from my research. Well the best they can with no eye lids that is lol.

My Moors watch TV some times since our flat screen is about 5 feet from the right side of the tank. They group together (3 goldies) on that side of the tank seemingly staring at it ;). Favorite show: Deadliest Catch lol.

Thanks Everyone...

So, is the concensus that this is a sleeping behavior? As far as them being pointed downward a bit, I'm not sure but I think so -- they are NOT acting sick in any way when they rest like this, and they're usually around in no time swimming and excited to see us by the glass...I was just wondering if this "laying by the back glass motionless but floating a bit" behavior was actual sleeping...

In a Developing Symptom Since my "Do Fish Sleep" Thread...Lethargic Goldies?

I realize someone else posted a thread not too long ago here in this section about his lethargic comet, but it seemed like that had gone in the direction of the swim bladder problem that my Calico has been experiencing, and didn't really conclude with any definitive answers; since my Calico has been back to exhibiting some of those same swim bladder symtoms, I want to explore a different issue now that my Red Cap Oranda and all-orange Fantail have been exhibiting, which kind of plays into my thread I began on "sleeping fish" in the general discussion section...

What originally began with my questioning whether fish "sleep" or not, and if the signs my fantails have been exhibiting constitute sleeping behaviors, has morphed into me thinking that there may be a more serious problem going on in my tank -- I have taken notice to the fact that now the Red Cap Oranda, all-orange Fantail and chocolate/gold Fantail have all begun "resting" a whole lot in the aquarium, to the point that they can indeed be labeled as "lethargic." The Oranda and orange Fantail seem to hover and float just above the surface of the gravel, in the rear of the tank, one of them facing outwards towards us from behind a plant, the other always facing backwards towards the rear wall of the tank, near the bubble wand...the gold and chocolate Fantail always hovers up in the left back corner of the tank, near the Aqueon filter intake stalk, and can stay like that, still, for a good amount of time...

They all do not stay like this indefinitely, or for hours -- they come out from behind the plants and the bottom of the tank (and the chocolate/gold Fantail from his upper left corner) and swim around for a good amount of time, checking for food on top and such, but they end up swimming back to their "hiding spots" and sit like that for quite awhile. There does not appear to be any kind of breathing/respiration issue with any of them, nor is there any other kind of "off" behavior -- they continue to eat and show enthusiasm when the flakes and peas are dropped in, but it's this regular and constant lethargic behavior I am concerned with.

This happens mostly in the evening, when we turn the tank lights on and settle in to watch them a bit; they swim around, but eventually sink down to their spots and just float there, coming out to swim more but just for a few moments and then they're back at the bottom (and in the case of one of them, in the upper left corner) behind the plants, just kind of "resting" there. As I said, there's no visible issue or damage to their scales, no growths or bumps, no breathing problems, no gasping at the surface and no loss of appetite -- is this something to be concerned with? Is it normal for the goldfish to want to rest or "sleep" like this all the time? Is it connected to some kind of "bloating" issue like my Calico Fantail was/is experiencing?

U say your water parameters are fine, but my questions is what exactly are they? And do they exhibit this behavior with the lights on or off? And how big is the tank and how many goldies are in there? In order to help u I think everyone needs more details. Thanks ;)

I'm not sure if fish sleep in the same sense as we do. But yes, they do "sleep".

I think they usually find a place in the tank with low flow and will sit there, using minimal energy. They seem to shut off quite a bit but will always wake up instantly if they need to run away or anything. Tiger Barbs, for example, will sleep nose up or nose down depending on flow direction, my Silver Dollars spread all along the tank flicking their tail only occasionally just to remain in the same spot. I have blue moon light LEDs on my tanks as I love seeing them in this state. It's awesome to see it.

U say your water parameters are fine, but my questions is what exactly are they? And do they exhibit this behavior with the lights on or off? And how big is the tank and how many goldies are in there? In order to help u I think everyone needs more details. Thanks ;)

Some of what you ask here is answered in my signature -- four medium sized goldfish in a 60 gallon.

I'm not sure if fish sleep in the same sense as we do. But yes, they do "sleep".

I think they usually find a place in the tank with low flow and will sit there, using minimal energy. They seem to shut off quite a bit but will always wake up instantly if they need to run away or anything. Tiger Barbs, for example, will sleep nose up or nose down depending on flow direction, my Silver Dollars spread all along the tank flicking their tail only occasionally just to remain in the same spot. I have blue moon light LEDs on my tanks as I love seeing them in this state. It's awesome to see it.

Thanks Tim,

I believe my goldies are doing the same thing as your fish -- of course, I didn't think that they sleep in the exact same manner as us, but my inquiries were based on the behavior that I'm noticing in the tank, wherein they will kind of hover right at the surface of the gravel, towards the back of the tank, almost motionless but not exhibiting any respiratory issues from what I can tell, so I don't think it's distress or health. They will eventually "spring to" and begin swimming around again, especially if my wife or I approach the tank, as they come to the front to check to see what's "going on"...does this appear to be of concern or is it just a "rest" symptom they are exhibiting?

Osage_Winter said:
Thanks Tim,

I believe my goldies are doing the same thing as your fish -- of course, I didn't think that they sleep in the exact same manner as us, but my inquiries were based on the behavior that I'm noticing in the tank, wherein they will kind of hover right at the surface of the gravel, towards the back of the tank, almost motionless but not exhibiting any respiratory issues from what I can tell, so I don't think it's distress or health. They will eventually "spring to" and begin swimming around again, especially if my wife or I approach the tank, as they come to the front to check to see what's "going on"...does this appear to be of concern or is it just a "rest" symptom they are exhibiting?

Normal behavior IMO, if they are eating well, swimming well, and still curious when you approach the tank (as you described).
There is not reason to be worried now, let them be.

That is resting or sleeping behavior. Whether it is normal or not depends on extend. All fish need some rest, and my fish will all "sleep" when the lights are out.

However, with lights on, healthy fish should be reasonably active, spending most of the time "booking". <digging/nosing around the bottom looking for food.> Sure they can stop & rest from time to time, but if the goldies are spending more time resting than swimming when the lights are on, I would consider that lethargy. <Generally, lethargic fish spend all the time sitting at the bottom, and only move during feeding time.>

That is resting or sleeping behavior. Whether it is normal or not depends on extend. All fish need some rest, and my fish will all "sleep" when the lights are out.

However, with lights on, healthy fish should be reasonably active, spending most of the time "booking". <digging/nosing around the bottom looking for food.> Sure they can stop & rest from time to time, but if the goldies are spending more time resting than swimming when the lights are on, I would consider that lethargy. <Generally, lethargic fish spend all the time sitting at the bottom, and only move during feeding time.>

J,

They do, for the most part, remain active and exhibiting booking behavior as you describe, with lights on or off -- but there are days when the lights are on that they do stay in the back for extended periods of time (I'd say 20 or a bit more minutes) before wiggling out and doing their wiggle swim thing to check everything out. The all-orange fantail and Red Cap Oranda both kind of hover next to each other during these rest periods, and the chocolate/gold fantail tends to go up to the upper left corner of the tank, just below the water line near the filter, to rest there almost motionless. The Calico Fantail doesn't seem to rest, instead constantly forging on the surface of the water for food and curiosity.

A 10-20 minute rest during the day isn't at all uncommon. Mine do that right after eating ... food digesting, I supposed. If they are active otherwise, i wouldn't worry too much.

JackSpadesSI said:
On days when I get up really early I turn on my tank's light to see all of my fish "sleeping" low on the gravel. They're all low enough that their bellies nearly touch the gravel and they remain still. It is sort of creepy. But, every time I see this they're all up and excited within a few minutes, so it can't be bad.

I'm not sure that turning the lights on much earlier than they're used to is a good idea.

I have my lights on a timer so the fish are used to when the light comes on, and when it goes off. I try to avoid changing the schedule, only keeping them on if acclimating a new fish isn't quite done yet.

Turning them on well before normal time, or even shining a flashlight into the tank while they're sleeping, probably isn't good for the fish.

A 10-20 minute rest during the day isn't at all uncommon. Mine do that right after eating ... food digesting, I supposed. If they are active otherwise, i wouldn't worry too much.

It's just that they're doing this "rest and hover" thing quite a lot, if not for long periods at a time; they do it, then end up swimming a bit, then go back behind the plants and rest right above the gravel again, etc...

I'm not sure that turning the lights on much earlier than they're used to is a good idea.

I have my lights on a timer so the fish are used to when the light comes on, and when it goes off. I try to avoid changing the schedule, only keeping them on if acclimating a new fish isn't quite done yet.

Turning them on well before normal time, or even shining a flashlight into the tank while they're sleeping, probably isn't good for the fish.

:eek::eek: Who would shine a light into their tank when it's dark and the fish have become acclimated to the dark and are resting??!! :nono::nono::nono:

I use timers, too. The tanks with the nighttime LEDs automatically switch between lights, LEDs, no LEDs (when I will be sleeping), then back to lights.

Back
Top Bottom