Do fish sleep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes fish sleep. Well...sort of. I'm not good at biology so I have no idea how to explain it to you but...fish sleep with their eyes open but I guess they somewhat-turn them off???-and simply float around and swim occasionally to keep them steady. They-turn their eyes back on???-when the lights come back on. I'm sure that's not the best explanation though.

Yeah. I decided to see what happened while I am usually sleeping and the girls are having a little slumber party? Lol.. Is it normal for the male to protect them while they "sleep"?

They go into a "down mode" so to speak. It is basically them sleeping, but they are at a minor attention. They will still be reactive, but it will take some time for them to completely perk up. This is one of the reasons why you don't turn on every light in the morning when the fish were used to dark. Sends them into shock.

Some fish lightly swim, some float, some sink, I think that depends on the individual or the species when they "sleep". I've noticed more bettas chill at the bottom, my rainbows and danios lightly swim, my flowerhorn will sometimes full-on lay on his side on the bottom, my bichir will float, and other fish will do either.

And he should be doing that. Those are his women and I'm sure he is not going to give them up. Normal dominant male behavior, at least for other fish. I have no guppy experience, so I'm just projecting from other fish experience.

My clown loaches, Rio Tapajo Red Noses and the cory doras sleep in little indentations in the sand. The Rios will move forward and backwards in the sand and make a pocket to stay in for the night. One time they built the sand up into a little mountain and made one hole in the very top and one on the right and left side of the mountain. Guess who was in the top one - two of the cory doras and the Rios were in the lower ones. But sometimes in the morning there are 6 or 8 dents in the sand where they have spent the night. Maybe it's because they are river fish and they do that to stay out of the current. It's really cute to see though.:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom