Do fish sleep in schools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just one of those silly questions that pop into my head on occasion.
Do fish sleep? If so, do schooling fish sleep in their schools?

I ask because I bought a small group of neons last night and post acclimation, was thrilled that they found their way into a school fairly quickly after being scattered upon entering the tank. This morning before leaving for work I could only find 2 or 3 of them and they were all in different area's. I'm anxious to see what becomes of them when I get home today.

My three remaining neons seem to sleep near each other, they go in the java moss with the guppies. My Diamond tetras each do their own thing at night. Usually they just float wherever the current takes them.

When I had 10 neons in my 30g they were ALWAYS by each other, they had their own corner of the tank that they claimed as their own. They would chase the guppies out if they got close to their java moss patch.

When I had 10 neons in my 30g they were ALWAYS by each other, they had their own corner of the tank that they claimed as their own. They would chase the guppies out if they got close to their java moss patch.

Thats pretty cool! My neons don't seem to have much personality. They just swim around the tank in a school ignoring everyone else.

Agreed! I love the idea of territorial fish, but I didnt think you saw that in the smaller community type species. Right now all I have are a few mollies and some neons in my 55, but I'm going to keep adding fish every few weeks. Exciting to see how their behaviors will change as things get more crowded.

My cories defintiely rest in either one large group or two smaller groups. Recently I have noticed my boraras not only stick together but seem to follow the corys around. I suppose they figue there is safety in numbers, even with another species?

My female diamond will actually separate my males to their own corners when she gets rowdy. She will chase them to the top corners and just do laps, making sure they are all in the place where she put them. I have seen her do this about 5 times over the past few months.

Last water change I actually noticed some spawning behaviors by the smallest male and her, I haven't seen any eggs so I guess they got eaten or they didn't do the 'deed'.

I never thought I would enjoy fishkeeping to this extent but I am hooked now! :)

I have 11 tiger barbs and come night time they all head for the plants and hang there nose down (or at a steep angle) all night in one big group! It is funny. I've tried to take a couple pictures but can't seem to get the focus & close shots ironed outl.

I've got 6 dwarf neon rainbows that are all over the tank during the day, but as soon as the lights go out, they shoal up and seem to stay that way until the lights turn on in the morning.

i think it really depends. my catfish are active at night more so then during the day. they hide out in the plants together. i have a tank full of schooling fish and they really dont sleep in schools. maybe if there was a threat in the tank they would.

My neons probably stick close because there is a huge angel in the tank with them. Only the guppies and neons keep their distance. My Diamonds and clown loach don't seem to notice. The diamonds are even bold enough to steal flakes right in front of him, granted they are fast fish.

well i have a clown loach ( trying to get another tank and more of them) any he follows around my rainbow sharks and sleeps next to him!

Back
Top Bottom