Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to contactpsb Send a message via Yahoo to contactpsb
Do I have room for more fish in these aquariums?

55gal - 2 honey orange gourami, 3 black skirt tetra, 1 bleeding heart tetra, 7 Molly, 2 rubber lipped pleco

75gal - albino shark, rainbow shark, 9 tiger barb, 2 dwarf gourami, 2 rubber lipped pleco, 1 glassfish, 1 synodontis (not sure of exact type)

Just trying to find out if we have too many fish or room for more....

Old 03-02-2004, 12:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Here is a fun thread to check oput and help you think it out

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...961&highlight=

Topic:Can of Sardines or Open Ocean?

I am not familiar enough with the bulk of your species list to say. Though with all the semi aggressives in the big tank, I would think care of selection would be needed.
I know gourami like to stake out a genral hang around area and would not appreciate gourami newbies unless they too are new.
Maybe bottom dwellers like cories or small loaches?
Your upper levels are packed on both.

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

In the 55 I would get 4-5 more black skirts so they can school, and maybe trade in the bleeding heart or get more of those, too. This would mean you would really need to be on top of frequent partial water changes but I think the schooling fish really need schools to be happy, and it would make your tank much more lively.

The 75 looks great except if the glass fish is a glass cat then they too need a group and get yourself 4-5 more of those. They do not like to be alone, and I think the tank can handle that. I think these are supposed to get relatively large but I have not seen large ones in aquariums - though I have not kept them myself so I have no first-hand experience with them.

It looks like you have two fine setups there
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to contactpsb Send a message via Yahoo to contactpsb
Thanks for the advice! My glass fish is not a cat, he's one of those painted glassfish (bought when I was a newbie and didn't realize that wasn't natural ). I don't want to get any more of them and the plain ones just don't do much for me so he'll just have to be lonely...

I have been thinking of getting some more bleeding hearts but wanted to make sure I had room first... and maybe some white skirt tetras. Will they school with the black skirts or do they each need their own school?

Also, I had my first Molly fry today, we snagged 8 of the babies and are going to attempt to keep them if they all survive.
75gal FW: 5 black skirt tetras, 7 bleeding heart tetras, 1 black phantom tetras, 1 golden guarami, 5 Mollies, 1 dwarf guarami, 1 glassfish, 6 albino barbs, 5 tiger barbs, 1 black ruby barb, 1 rubber lipped pleco, 1 Synodontis Lace Cat
150gal SW: Dogface Puffer, Lunar Wrasse, Miniatus Grouper, Blue Jaw Trigger
contactpsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AdamsZoological Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsZoological
Definately agree with TankGirl's suggestions, sounds like it'd work great in those tanks.
AdamsZoological is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I am pretty sure the white skirts will school with the black skirts. If you just get more black/white skirts and bleeding hearts, get a bunch.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AdamsZoological Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsZoological
Pretty much the way to go with most Tetras, the more the better. They look great in big groups, and are a heck of alot happier

AdamsZoological is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com