Do i need 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikkid1987

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently read that some people suggest using 2 filters on a 30g tank... I have a filter that is for 20-30 g tanks on it now. I wondered if I should put my 15 g filter on it as well. I have bubble stones in it but was curious as to why I'd need 2 filters

Well, it is better off to reduce the ammonia in your tank, you avoid a lot of problems with two filters

I recently read that some people suggest using 2 filters on a 30g tank... I have a filter that is for 20-30 g tanks on it now. I wondered if I should put my 15 g filter on it as well. I have bubble stones in it but was curious as to why I'd need 2 filters

people use 2 filters or 1 big filter because most people suggest have a 8-10 time turn over rate (in gallons per hour) with the HOB filters. 5 times for canister filters.

i myself use 2 aquaclear 50 filters for my 38 gallon and it works out very very well.

I've heard a lot of people suggest getting a filter rated for double the size of a tank, but not to have 2. Not sure why other than it helps keep the water clean better.
I have noticed that even with my aquaclear 50 on my 28, only the side it's sitting on really stays clean, the rest of the tank gets to be pretty nasty looking pretty fast...so I'd suggest having 2 only because of that.

I've heard a lot of people suggest getting a filter rated for double the size of a tank, but not to have 2. Not sure why other than it helps keep the water clean better.
I have noticed that even with my aquaclear 50 on my 28, only the side it's sitting on really stays clean, the rest of the tank gets to be pretty nasty looking pretty fast...so I'd suggest having 2 only because of that.

True, 2 small ones are better than one big one, I have 2 for 10 gallons In my 10 gallon, and I'm getting another one for my 55 gallon

I like to build a bit of redundancy into my set ups, so if one fails all is not lost. Plus I clean them a month apart, so I don't disrupt the BB balance too much. I also have very poopy fish. Seriously poopy.

I like to build a bit of redundancy into my set ups, so if one fails all is not lost. Plus I clean them a month apart, so I don't disrupt the BB balance too much. I also have very poopy fish. Seriously poopy.

I have two filters on both of my larger tanks for the same reason - redundancy. My smaller tanks are run on sponge filters so there isn't as much that can go wrong other than my air pump possibly going out, but I have extras around for that reason. Back when my 5 gallon had a HOB filter, I had it and the HOB on my 20 gallon die on me within a day, so I had to run to Walmart at midnight after I got off of work to go replace them both. When I upgraded my tanks, I went with two filters for each to reduce the chance of having to do that again. With two filters per tank, if one dies I have time to replace them or try to repair them without having to panic about my fish going without filtration.

I have seriously seriously poopy fish, too. So I appreciate the extra filtration for that reason too. Seriously, I did a water change on Saturday but already there are huge piles of poop all over my 56 gallon. Plecos, man... I need to pick up one of those battery operated vacuums for between water changes.

Thanks y'all ! I think I'm going to put the one from my 15 on the 30. I don't need to change it do I? The filter looks good , I've had it in the 15 for a month so I guess it's got all that " good" bacteria everyone is talking about

Hmm, redundancy. You guys make a great point! I never thought of it that way...better to have 2 running in case 1 goes out and you don't have to go through an entire cycle again...

Hmmm, looks like I'll be investing in some more filters ASAP!

Plecos, man... I need to pick up one of those battery operated vacuums for between water changes.

Save your money! I went through four in less than a year- two of them were eheims. Despite retailing for $195.00 at my LFS, they were cheap rubbish too. Someone needs to invent pleco butt plugs..... lol

I run a Aquaclear 70 on my 29 gallon tank - and it does a great job of keeping things clean. With weekly or biweekly 20% water changes my tank stays really nice looking.

However, there is something to be said for redundancy! I plugged my filter back in after a water change this weekend and it didn't turn on - total panic! Thankfully after a bit of research I realized I hadn't cleaned out the motor in a long time (ok, really hadn't ever!) and that fixed the problem.

+ 1 to Aquaclear filters for surviving my lack of maintenance....

I run a Aquaclear 70 on my 29 gallon tank - and it does a great job of keeping things clean. With weekly or biweekly 20% water changes my tank stays really nice looking.

However, there is something to be said for redundancy! I plugged my filter back in after a water change this weekend and it didn't turn on - total panic! Thankfully after a bit of research I realized I hadn't cleaned out the motor in a long time (ok, really hadn't ever!) and that fixed the problem.

+ 1 to Aquaclear filters for surviving my lack of maintenance....

I wouldn't have thought to clean the motor lol

I have cleaned my marineland 350 once and this was like a month ago. I have had my tank set up and running with that same filter for 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom