Do I need an air pump or powerhead for my 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm picking up my 75 gallon from petsmart in a week! I'm really excited since this is my first tank over 20 gallons. Right now I'm deciding on which filter for the aquarium. I'm torn between the Emperor 400 and the Penguin 350. There is a $25 price differance and I'm wondering if its worth the extra money for the Emperor. Any experience in this?

My plan is a South American biotope with BGK, Angels, Cories, Hatchetfish, Tetras, Amazon swords, hornwort and driftwood. If I can find a nice small grass from the amazon I might do that too...

Do I need an air pump or powerhead? If I need either I'd rather a powerhead but I don't really want an air pump with bubbles blowing everywhere.

Thanks guys! Will be posting pics in a few weeks!

Nik

No "need" for airstone or power head if your filters provide adequate surface agitation and circulation. Canister filters are VERY popular with the 55 gal and up owners, and excel at surface agitation and circulation with well placed output nozzles. But HOB's work good too.

If going with a HOB, I'd go with the Emperor 400. You will also need a powerhead on the other end of the tank as well. Or you can use an Emperor 400 on one end, and an Emperor 280 on the other. Also, check the prices online at bigalsonline.com. You will get a much better deal on the HOB's.

But in reality, a canister filter would be better on a large tank. The XP3 would do well for you.

What canister filter would you recommend?

So with a canister, I could eliminate the need for the powerhead? How should I position the tubes for the canister?

Nik

I'm getting a 55-gallon tank soon. What are the benefits of the canister filter on a larger tank? I don't get how they work with regards to how the suction and return work. How does it eliminate the need for a power head? I've been reading about the Rena XP3 as a suggestion, even when the XP2 will do the trick, just beacuse it has more capacity for such little price difference.

I have the intake on one back corner and I use the spraybar in the other corner. I have my spraybar vertical, down the corner of the tank. Some have them horizontal along the top of the tank. But I find that there's better circulation with it in the vertical position.

It is also going to depend on your bioload. I had 2 H.O.T. Magnum canisters on my 55 gallon but I had a ton of 4 to 5" fish at that point.

eitehr way internet stores offer alot better prices ont hings like powerheads and HOB's, you should look into acanister filter for that sized tank

I've definitely decided on the XP3, I just want to make sure I don't need a powerhead as well.

Nik

Just install it and see what your current is like.

You'll be able to tell the first time you feed the fish.
The food should get scattered and you should see it moving around the tank as the fish eat it.

If the food floats in the one spot then you have a dead spot.

What does the XP3 come with as far as a return goes? Is it just a single tube or is there a spraybar? I can't figure out from product pictures.

Back
Top Bottom