Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do I need anymore fish?? 30g stocking question

So right now I have 2 angels, 5 danios, a gourami, 3 cory's and a pleco. Anyone have suggestions on whether I should add any more fish? I have thought about a few silver dollars, or maybe a few more corys, but really dont know yet. Id love to hear what you all's ideas are.
Also, I have a 10g with 8 tiger barbs. Any suggestions on that one? I may just keep it as it is, but Im not sure whether I need a bottom feeder or not. Much thanks

Old 09-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i dont know the size of all your fish but both tanks will be crowded in a few months, the pleco and angels will get huge, (about 6" for the angel, 12"+ for the pleco) and tiger barbs get 3" each. i'd start looking for a bigger tank, or take some fish back.

fish do not grow to the size of their tank, their growth is stunted, but they will still be too big.

sorry for being the bearer of bad news

Old 09-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yea, as soon as the pleco begins to outgrow the tank, I will be exchanging him. I have heard and seen how big the plecos get, it is ridiculous. Arent there some pleco species that are dwarf species though?? Also, I thought about getting a kuhli loach or something like that, I liked the way they looked. Any thoughts? Thanks again for the help HC
Old 09-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

actually most plecos that are exotic are usually dwarf, gold nuggets only get 6" and other like bristle nose and rubber lips stay 3"

remember the angels will get pretty big as well

kuhli loaches are ok, i wouldnt get them again, they just hide all day and never come out. they say dojos are really hand tame, and may do tricks, they are supposibly coolwater, but do fine in tropical water
Old 09-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Quote:
and other like bristle nose and rubber lips stay 3"
Umm...some BNs only get 4-5 inches, while there may be a couple types that only stay 3...I'm not sure. The average is about 5 though. And Rubberlips get 5-6 inches.

Rubberlip plecos are the same as Rubbernose and Bulldog plecos.
Depending on if you get a L081 Gold Nugget or a L018 Gold Nugget they can get anywhere from 7 inches to 14 inches.

Jmag, the only fish I'd add would be a few more cories. They like groups so I'd get 3 more of the same type (assuming you only have 1 type). You may want to add a few more danios because they can be extremely nippy. I personally wouldn't keep them with angels.

And your tiger barbs are overstocked in that 10g. They get pretty big so I think a 20g long would be the minimum tank I'd keep them in. When they get close to full grown, you should really consider atleast a 20g long tank. A 10g is too small. And I wouldn't add anything else to that tank while the barbs are in there.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

As I understand it, gold nugget plecos can grow larger than 6 inches... I believe someone else here at AA told me that. My bristlenose that just died was about 6 inches. Rubber lip plecos stay smaller than 5 inches I think, and clown plecos or tiger plecos both stay pretty small. Look for some of those species when you exchange your pleco, as they will stay small enough to live in your tank long-term. hc8719 is totally right about your tiger barbs- a 10 gallon is much too small for a school of 8, and as they are such active swimmers, IMO a 10 gallon is too small for a TB school of any size. Is there any way you could exchange the TBs for a school of small tetras or something?
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok then, were all clear not to ask be about plecos anymore...
Old 09-25-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
i think the 30'd be fine, and maybe a couple more bottom dwellers.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101
i think the 30'd be fine, and maybe a couple more bottom dwellers.
really? what about the 8 barbs?

angels do get 6" each, i think that may be pushing it
Old 09-25-2006, 11:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
you can try it, but normally tiger barbs nip slower fish (never had them but the stories) but id suggest against it.

both khuli loaches and dojo's are fun fish. khuli you need about 4 and dojo's you can solo (i think). the khulis are alot more active at night and when you have decent cover. the dojo on the other hand is active most of the day. when it rains they go crazy, but they have the tendency to jump out (in my case). both of them burrow. id say 1 or the other.

Tags
30 gallon, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com