Do I really need a heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iris135

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been keeping my community 29 gal tank for a few months now without a heater. The temp stays between 70-72F depending on how long the light is on, and does not fluctuate much at all. I live in Noortheastern Ohio, so this is as cold as it is going to get. I have been reading conflicting forums about needing a heater or not. Some say absolutely and others say not really if the temp remains above 70F. I was thinking that it may not be needed because tropical waters can certainly reach temperatures of 70F and below.

Tankmates are:
Gouarmi
Red tail shark
Dannios
Tiger Barbs
African cichlids (I know, I know)

I have noticed that the dannios are the most active, which makes sense since they can do fine in cooler temperatures.

I am slightly worried that raising the tank temperatures will cause the cichlids to act up, it has been smooth sailing so far. I wanted to set up another tank to move them to, but I will return them if I notice problems before that happens.

Ok since you said "I know I know" I won't say anything. You obviously know already.

I'd get a heater anyway. Even if its a small one to maintain the temp you have now.

Or even incase it just drop one night. The heater will only kick on when needed.

Just my opinion.

Ok since you said "I know I know" I won't say anything. You obviously know already.

I'd get a heater anyway. Even if its a small one to maintain the temp you have now.

Or even incase it just drop one night. The heater will only kick on when needed.

Just my opinion.

Ok thanks, I was shopping for filter cartridges on Amazon and was wondering if I should just throw a heater in the cart too.

Easy .. if you have tropical fish and you live in an area where the air temperature dips towards the freezing mark ... or even into the 50'sF .... then yes a heater's necessary.

NE Ohio definitely qualifies as heater backup necessary. Just never know when you leave for a long weekend / Vacation and for some reason the home heating stops working.

70-72 is way to cold for Africans, I keep mine at 80 and that is on the lower side. I am assuming that you are going to upgrade them, the tank will most defiantly need a heater

I live in Michigan, and I have a heater. The only time mine is one a lot is when it gets close to the single digits outside. In the summer I keep it on as well since we run the air conditioning in the house. I would suggest getting one.

70-72 is way to cold for Africans, I keep mine at 80 and that is on the lower side. I am assuming that you are going to upgrade them, the tank will most defiantly need a heater

A heater is certainly in the plans for the upgrade. Do you think that is why they have been rather non-aggressive so far? I hope to upgrade within 4 weeks.

Btw, just ordered the heater, should be here in a couple days.

A heater is certainly in the plans for the upgrade. Do you think that is why they have been rather non-aggressive so far? I hope to upgrade within 4 weeks.

It could be, that temp is defiantly not good for long term health. I had my heater malfunction and get my african tank to 93 and they were alright (immediately started to cool back to 80)

It could be, that temp is defiantly not good for long term health. I had my heater malfunction and get my african tank to 93 and they were alright (immediately started to cool back to 80)

Thx, good to know. I looked on liveaquaria and they indicated a minimum temp of 72, so I thought they would be okay.

Back
Top Bottom