Do khulis need a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brox

Aquarium Advice Freak
Read somewhere that khulis need at least a 55 is this true I want 5 in a 4 gallon tank along with my other fish

I dont think they need a 55 gallon, but they definitly need more room then a 4 gallon.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I dont think they need a 55 gallon, but they definitly need more room then a 4 gallon.

Ugh I meant 40 sorry

Well khulis can be kept in a 10g of course every site recommend a larger tank for them because they can be sensitive to water conditions but a good cycled tank will be fine for them the bio load from them is very minimal and they are good bottom feeders so if you dont want corys then go with these guys they like to hide during the day at first but when they get more comfortable they will be out swimming all over the place

I have 7 small ones in my 29g and I rarely see more than one or two. If I see more than two are in the same area I call it a Kuhli Loach party hahah. I really like them!

They can be very active at night. When mature they are about 4 inches long and as thick as a pencil. I've had one kuhli loach with 5 guppies and an african dwarf frog and he took a liking to the frog. I bought another one since I heard they are somewhat social and a 10 gallon tank is indeed the MINIMUM tank size for them. One likes to swim all over the tank at night and I mean ALL OVER, so it's not safe to assume that they will only swim around the bottom.

The more numbers th more active and happy they will be. But this would also mean more space. I hear you shouldnt get less then three and atleast 5 is recommend

Like others I would think 20 gallons should be the minimum for a small school.

If you install a night light, like a cheap blue light in the tank you can watch them move all about cleaning up and socializing.

Yes 5 kuhlis will be fine in a 40G depending on your other stock

1 inch of fish per gallon works most of the time but in planted tank and various species you can have more like guppies my rule on guppies is 1 inch for every half gallon and even when over stocked most heavily planted tanks nitrite nitrate and ammonia are at 0

Back
Top Bottom