Do oscars get lazy and boring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking of grabbing an oscar for a tank. But saw some videos of some mature oscars that hardly swim, lay on bottom of tank playing dead, seem inactive, Etc. Etc. Quite boring actually. They only seem to move and come up for food only.

The small juvinile oscars I see in fish stores seem the opposite. I was wonderring, do they change lazy when they grow?

Im looking for an active fish, full of personality that isnt scared, swims around the tank happily etc etc

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's your tank size, the only animal I can think of is a puffer Hahaha. Swims around... Archerfish? They are exceptionally fun to feed! I think Oscars aren't that lazy, but they aren't active when they are big ime. If your tank is big enough, there many puffers you can choose...

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One of our LFSes often takes in very large oscars that people didn't have room for. When I visit the store they seem very active when someone approaches the tank.

I've never had one but what I've read so far suggests they are highly social with people. Maybe they're "boring" when they are bored.

So do you want something interesting to watch from a distance ... Or something to interact with?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

It's called sulking when they lay on the bottom, most likely caused by poor consitions. They're pretty demanding actually, they require excellent conditions which means lots of clean water and filtration as they are extremely messy..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Poor conditions as in poor water quality and small space?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think oscars do slow down a little when they mature and besides, would you want a foot long fish behaving the same way as a one or two inch young oscar? That would be pretty crazy!
Oscars do what they do, I think it's the owners that get bored with them.

Back
Top Bottom