Do reptiles ruin tanks for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudraker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short::

I have always “heard” you should not put fish in an aquarium if the aquarium has ever had reptiles in it.

True or False?

If true, why?

I am asking because I loaned out an aquarium for fish and found out today there is a small boa constrictor in it. I’m more than a little ticked off about it.

I used to have all sorts of snakes and lizards, and still do, just rehomed some and got into fish. I am currently using 2 tanks I had reptiles in and there is no difference in the tank, as long as u clean it. the only way it could be ruined by reptiles if you have a large lizard in the tank which will only sometimes scratching up the glass with its claws. I had one of my baby monitors in a 30 gallon, and when I got him a bigger tank I turned it into a fish tank.

I've never had issues with it...my current tank housed crested geckos, and now supports a community tank of tetras, rams, and cory cats just fine

A lot of the time the heat drys out the silicone and they start to leak after awhile.

Shawn214 said:
A lot of the time the heat drys out the silicone and they start to leak after awhile.

that is true. but if it is housing a boa a heat pad is probably being used and it's moist. if it was a bearded dragon that would be a different story

Back
Top Bottom